windows xp will not boot RRS feed

• Question

• i have a toshiba laptop running windows xp.  i tried to run a system restore, when the computer restarted windows would not boot.  when i start the computer it now starts from the black screen which says windows had a problem booting and has the option to boot in safe mode, last known settings, etc.  when i try any of these options the windows icon screen comes up, then a quick flash of an error screen, then it restarts back to the boot problem screen.  i do not have the windows recovery disc, where can i start?
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:56 AM Forum Cleanup (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile and Recognition System Discussions)
    Friday, November 26, 2010 12:28 AM

All replies

• it could be a number of things wrong here, but without the Xp OS disk it going to be difficult to figure out.

If you can get into your bios, make sure that your booting to your hard drive 1st. than cd 2nd.

booting problems usually mean problems with your boot manager, but NOT always.

Black screens can mean many different problems, anything from as simple as a bad video card to a bad motherboard.

You need to get an XP disk, you can buy them cheap, or borrow one from a friend just to repair.

If you do get it to boot up, get into your event log and print if you can. Next,  Back up your files and system

Hope this helps

Friday, November 26, 2010 1:41 AM