none
Consistency check fails after restoring a deleted VM to alternate location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently testing DPM 2010 to backup our high available VMs. The scenario is as follows: Someone deletes a VM by mistake. We restore it by using the alternate location option (because to original location fails). I notice two things:

1. After the restore I have to discard the saved state otherwise VMM is not able to start the VM. Is this expected behaviour?

2. After the restore the replica is inconsistent and a consitency check fails. Am I supposed to stop the protection and re-add the VM again?

Regards Alex

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:08 AM

All replies

• HI,

1) Yes, you must delete the saved state after recovery before the VM will start.  This is documented here as a note: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634185.aspx 

2) Yes, because to DPM the restored VM is a new VM and must be reprotected. I would only do that after verifying the restored VM is in good working order.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:46 AM
  • Hi,

thank you for your answer. If I protect the restored VM as a new VM I have to stop protection for the old one. I alsways need to have 7 backups. I can read in the documentation "Click Retain Protected Data to retain the replica on disk with associated recovery points and tapes for the retention range. These can be deleted later."

Does this mean I have to manually delete the old backups after 7 days or that those backups are deleted automatically after the retention range is over?

Regards Alex

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 7:33 AM