none
USMT breaking default app associations RRS feed

• Question

• We have a default app associations set for .pdf's, browser, etc that we deploy in our OSD.  End users are able to switch the defaults as needed.

I'm playing with USMT and am currently migrating test profiles back and forth but my migrated profiles have broken default app associations.  .Pdf's, browser, etc are all reverting back to Windows 10 defaults (Edge...) which is not ideal for us.  Newly created profiles that weren't migrated are using the proper default apps.

It appears as though something is getting migrated through each profile which is triggering the protected file type stuff in Windows 10 and resetting everything back.  

Has anyone seen anything similar or been able to resolve it?

Monday, September 24, 2018 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    1. USMT does not migrate some application settings.

2. The versions of installed applications must match on the source and destination computers. USMT does not support migrating the settings of an earlier version of an application to a later version, except for Microsoft Office.

3. USMT migrates only the settings that have been used or modified by the user. If there is an application setting on the source computer that was not touched by the user, the setting may not migrate.

We can try to reconfigure default app associations according to the following blog.
    Windows 10 – How to configure file associations for IT Pros?

For details we can refer to the articles:
    User State Migration Tool (USMT) Overview
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/usmt/usmt-overview
    What does USMT migrate?
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/usmt/usmt-what-does-usmt-migrate

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 5:34 AM
  • We already have an established an functional file associations step we're deploying.  Like I said in my original post, new profiles sign in with the correct file associations, but migrated profiles have Edge as the default browser/pdf viewer.

As for point #2, I have a test VM with several user profiles.  If I capture those profiles, delete the profiles from the VM, then restore the .mig, all migrated profiles have the broken file associations.  My source PC and destination PC are the same.  There are no application changes happening in between the capture/restore so all application versions are identical before/after.

Points #1 and #3, that's fine.  I'm mostly concerned with user data rather than app settings.

Thank you for the article but it doesn't address this particular problem.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 6:55 PM
  • Hi,
    Why I'm getting the User Choice notification even if I used an XML file?
    You could get the following notification starting Windows 10 1703 when you choose an application as the default viewer instead using Microsoft Edge.
    These notification windows are displayed only once if you're clicking on OK. It's because Microsoft Edge is detected as a new application.
    If a new app is installed and is registered to an existing file extension or protocol you will get this notification.
    Source: Windows 10 – How to configure file associations for IT Pros?

We can try the following ways:
    Way1
    When we migrate the user profiles, it is to open the .pdf file or browser directly through Windows Edge, or let us choose to open the .pdf file or browser in the way we want? If we choose the open method we want to open, then check Always use this app to open .pdf file or browser, when we open the .pdf file or browser next time, is it open with our configured open method? If so, we can use our configured open method.
    Way2
    When we migrate the user profiles to the destination PC, we can try to set the group policy or modify the local group policy in the destination PC, enable the following policy.
    Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer\Set a default associations configuration file
    We select the path and xml file (default associations configuration file) in default associations configuration file. Then we view if we can open .pdf file or browser as we configured.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:50 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Friday, September 28, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Hi,
    I am just writing to see if this issue has any update. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let us know.
    Have a nice day!
    Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:08 AM
  • Hi Daisy, has MS addressed this is issue it's a big problem with USMT it seems at the moment. Any user who's data is restored during a refresh task sequence do not get the default associations created.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:21 PM