Windows 7 Seach stopped functioning for network drives RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I went to search for a while on my windows 7 enterprise machine.

The file exists on a mapped network drive. When i try to search the volume for example *.doc i dont get any results and the green bar does not load.

I have tried to uninstall the search service and reinstall but this doesnt do anything.

It is really frustrating. It is happening to a few users now.

I saw a patch but it seemed to be only for x64 win7.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for update.

Just for a simple test, please try a new account to check how it works.

If this issue does not occur to new account, you should try to fix your profile.

As you said, you have reinstalled Windows Search in Windows Feature, if this issue persists, you could try to perform in-place update to check if it could fix this issue:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, April 4, 2011 2:25 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you perform you search operation? Did this issue occur to local drive?

I suggest you could try to “Always Available Offline” to check how it works.

Meanwhile, try to test this issue in Safe Mode with networking.

If issue persists, try to rebuild index to check the result:

1.    Open the Control Panel.

2.    In the Instant Search box, type Index.

3.    Click on Indexing Options.

4.    Click on Run as Administrator and allow the privileges.

5.    Click on Advanced, then Rebuild.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:07 AM
  • I am rebuilding the cache now.

I dont want to make the network share available offline because it is a huge network drive.

From my computer i just used to go to the search field and type my query.

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Hi,

How are you?

I just want to say hi and to see how thing are going there. When you get a chance, please send me a quick note to let me know the current status of this issue. If the problem has been resolved or if you need additional information, please let us know.  

Thanks, and have a great day!

Monday, March 28, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Still cant search after the index rebuild.

It used to work fine. I had a colleague have the same issue however after rebuilding his OS it worked fine straight after that....i dont want to do this right now though. There must be a solution?

Thanks again

Jonathon

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for update.

Just for a simple test, please try a new account to check how it works.

If this issue does not occur to new account, you should try to fix your profile.

As you said, you have reinstalled Windows Search in Windows Feature, if this issue persists, you could try to perform in-place update to check if it could fix this issue:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Alex Zhao

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, April 4, 2011 2:25 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:59 AM
  • I tried logging in as a different user and the same issue happened.

I am going to try the in place upgrade.

The search works fine for my local disks but just not for network paths.

I will try the inplace upgrade now.

Thanks Alex

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Hi,

I just wanted to say Hi!

Did the information provided solve your query?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further concerns or questions regarding the issue.

• Edited by Cloud_TS Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:27 AM typo
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Alex Zhao

Monday, April 4, 2011 2:25 AM