Lots of major problems! Black screen, all Network/update/task Services stopped, blank Sidebar RRS feed

• Question

• I have no idea how this happened and the only explanation that I can think of, is that this is a new virus and I am one of the first people to have it.

I am using Kaspersky 2009 8.0.0.454, Spybot Search & Destroy (with Tea-Timer) and Windows Defender - all fully updated. I am also using Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. My Laptop is only a month old now, and I cannot believe this has happened! My system specifications are in my signature.

I have fully scanned my system with Kaspersky and Spybot Search & Destroy - to no avail - no viruses were detected. I am currently scanning using Windows Defender (not that it will help) and nothing has been detected yet. Edit: According to Windows Defender, my computer is running normally, and no harmful software has been detected...

I first noticed the problems when I booted into my Laptop: It was slightly slower that usual when booting, and this was confirmed after I logged on as the screen went blank for 30 seconds or more, only showing the mouse. After this delay, it finally booted onto the desktop showing a very strange sidebar, containing just white squares. Next, I could not connect to the internet and the reason given was the Network Service had failed to start. So I opened 'Services', and ALL related Network services were not running; including Windows Update, Windows Firewall (I use the Kaspersky one) and Task Scheduler (presumably so I cannot use System Restore) even though they are set to start Automatically. When I try to start them, each one has a different reason for not starting: "The task could not be completed", "The request is not supported", "An unknown error has occurred", etc. For some reason, the fingerprint software "crashes" upon start-up too, even though it is still working, and when I click 'Close program' an error appears saying that the memory could not be read which then closes the program.
    My computer doesn't seem any slower that usual, apart from booting, and logging onto Windows.

Before all this happened, I saw a process running called "GetPlus Helper". This has been on my Laptop since I first received it, and I never got around to finding out what is was, because I have never heard of it. I stumbled across their website, and they claimed to sell virus scanning products. However, something about the website didn't look quite right and I hadn't installed anything, so pending further investigation, I searched, and found a forum saying that it was a virus! Finding no way to uninstall it, I deleted the folder, and all relevant registry keys. I also found that it was a plug-in in Firefox! One of the symptoms was this blank screen - which I now have!

I have no idea what has happened, nor why and any and all help would be extremely appreciated as I really need my Laptop to be fixed.

I really cannot reinstall Vista - I spent hours setting it up, and there must be a way to solve this!

Thanks for reading this!

~Blaze42.
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 9:41 AM

Answers

• Haha not so!

After using the crappy WinUtilities Registry Cleaner Rescue Centre, everything was working again! It must have removed some critical entries!

NEVER USE THEIR PRODUCTS - EVER.

Thanks for all your help. Wink
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 3:07 PM