Periodic 'this page cannot be found' error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

Every now and again when navigating to a SP2013 site I see the 'Working on it' progress message followed by a 'This page cannot be found'.   If I wait a bit and then click 'Fix Connection'  it whirs away complains about a proxy, then the site starts working again.

Checking the application event log I see the following error(s):

Critical:  SharePoint Foundation 6398 Timer
    The execute of the method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.ActivityFeed.ActivityFeedUPAJob threw an exception.
    UserProfileApplicaitonNotAvailableException_Logging::UserProfileApplicationProxy.GetRawPartitionID has null proxy.

It appears (at face value) to be occurring when the User Profile service is scheduled to synchronize.  This service appears to be running ok (I am seeing some recent user profile changes appear in SharePoint).

Does anyone have an idea on what might be the cause?

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:03 AM

Answers

• It appears I have managed to resolve this.

I turned on network discovery (for my dns and the sharepoint machine) via group policy (need to set a couple of flags and enable some services) and the issue seems to have vanished.   It appeared that SharePoint became unable to contact the DNS server to resolve some hostnames which resulted in the page being unavailable. I am not sure exactly why - but I suspect the 'fix connection' was repairing this issue when I selected it.

• Marked as answer by AndyW2007 Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:18 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, you experience periodic “This page cannot be found" and find there is Event Log 6398 "UserProfileApplicaitonNotAvailableException_Logging::UserProfileApplicationProxy.GetRawPartitionID has null proxy" logged.

It seems that they are two separate issues. Anyway, let’s check them one by one.

1.            Event Log 6398 "UserProfileApplicaitonNotAvailableException_Logging::UserProfileApplicationProxy.GetRawPartitionID has null proxy"

It indicates that User Profile Service Application is not associated with a proxy group. Please double check Service Application Associations and confirm whether the proxy group is properly linked to the web application.

2.                  Periodic 'this page cannot be found' error

What operation\which site do you do when you receive 'this page cannot be found' error? Do all clients experience same issue? Please understand that it is expected when you do some configuration change whose operation time exceed the timeout threshold.  Therefore, please also check the performance of SharePoint WFE role server.

Miles LI TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Chen VMVP Monday, September 22, 2014 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

For item 1.   I can see my user profile listed there.  If I click on the 'default' and bring up the 'Configure Service Application Associations' menu I can see the entry 'User Profile Service App -> User Profile Service Application Proxy' is checked.

For number 2.  It is all sites except central admin.  As an experiment I set the user profile sync to hourly and the sites 'appeared' to go offline at about the same time.  I am wondering if I can fix item 1, that item 2 might resolve itself.

Regards

Andy

Friday, September 6, 2013 1:39 AM
  • It appears I have managed to resolve this.

I turned on network discovery (for my dns and the sharepoint machine) via group policy (need to set a couple of flags and enable some services) and the issue seems to have vanished.   It appeared that SharePoint became unable to contact the DNS server to resolve some hostnames which resulted in the page being unavailable. I am not sure exactly why - but I suspect the 'fix connection' was repairing this issue when I selected it.

• Marked as answer by AndyW2007 Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:18 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:18 PM