Can I upgrade from Beta to release version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have installed the Windows beta 7 as an upgrade of my Vista Ultimate install.

When the Betas run out and the final Windows 7 is released will I be able to do an upgrade install or will I have to format and clean install?

thanks
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:09 AM

Answers

• The recent Springboard chat announced that the beta will upgrade to release candidate, next, and that to the final version (RTM) also.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:27 PM

All replies

• Technically speaking, most likely you will be able to.

However, the current beta expires on August 1st. Retail copy will not be available then. Thus, your plan only works on the assumption there is some other beta between August 1st and release date.
    • Proposed as answer by Oleg Krogius Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:27 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:27 AM
  • Hi

I believe MS have said that a new beta will be available when this one expires.

cheers
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:34 AM
  • While Beta testing Vista it changed several times, eventually morping into Vista RC1
    at a launch event here in Vancouver BC.
    There was then an update to download the new build Vista RC2 a short time later.

When Vista became final/Gold we were advised to unistall the Beta versions and install the final build.

Mike the mod
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:53 AM
  •  So is that what is going to happen with W7 beta??

cheers
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:29 AM
  • Oleg Krogius said:

Technically speaking, most likely you will be able to.

However, the current beta expires on August 1st. Retail copy will not be available then. Thus, your plan only works on the assumption there is some other beta between August 1st and release date.

Probably won't be able to upgrade to any other beta or RC, however I'm certain of you won't be able to upgrade to release version.
    Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
    • Proposed as answer by Snala Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:35 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:11 AM
  • If an upgrade exists, it will be to a paid ultimate version only, if you want only the professional version, for example you will need a fresh install. Even a fresh install keeps your data files around.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Jeffrey2793 said:

Even a fresh install keeps your data files around.

How does that happen, I thought a fresh install wrote over your previous install and files?

cheers
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Daniel - Sydney said:

Hi

I believe MS have said that a new beta will be available when this one expires.

cheers

hopefully they will post it here  on this forum so we can get the second one too.

I am running windows 7 in virtual pc 2007 now and would surely like the test the second beta
    there.

robin

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Daniel - Sydney said:

How does that happen, I thought a fresh install wrote over your previous install and files?

cheers

If you have configured two partitions, than all your data will be stored in a safely place. I won't recommend not to format the partition during a fresh install. Also if you do an upgrade your data will be kept.
    Peter Forster, MVP Virtual Machine, Austria
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:25 PM
    Answerer
  • The recent Springboard chat announced that the beta will upgrade to release candidate, next, and that to the final version (RTM) also.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:27 PM