My desktop backgrounds will not center in Vista Home Premium, SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Pavillion DV9000 laptop with a 17" display and an nVidia GeForce 7150M display adapter. I have Vista Home Premium, SP1, installed. My preferred screen resolution is 32-bit, 1440 X 900 (widescreen). I have installed the latest nVidia drivers, the latest Vista updates and the most current HP firmware, without success, trying to fix the problem below.

I am unable to get any image, whether it's an MS supplied image (even one of the MS widescreen images) or my own,  to display centered on my desktop regardless of the image resolution and size. The center and stretch mode settings under Personalization --> Desktop Background do not center the image on my desktop nor stretch the image to fill the desktop. The desktop background always display as if about 2/3 of the image is off the screen to the lower right. It's as if Windows thinks the screen resolution is something other than the actual setting. I have tried changing my screen resolution to see if there's one that does allow the background images to be centered, but none of the resolutions available to me make any difference in the funky positioning.

The display resolutions I have tried are 800 X 600, 1024 X 768, 1152 X 864, 1280 X 720 and 1440 X 900. These are the only resolutions available to me.

Can someone tell me how fix this problem or point me to an article or other information that might help?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you select 1440 X 900, only 1440 X 900 Desktop images can fill the full screen if you set it in center. If the images are not specially for 1440 X 900, you may need to choose "Fit to screen", however, it may lower the quality of the Desktop background because the picture is resized.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, December 29, 2008 8:15 AM

All replies

•  

Trying going to the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. In the right pane check that the following two values WallpaperOriginX and WallpaperOriginY are 0 (zero). If not, right-click > Modify and make them zero. Restart the computer.

• Proposed as answer by 4ofjulyguy Monday, May 4, 2009 10:51 PM
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

If you select 1440 X 900, only 1440 X 900 Desktop images can fill the full screen if you set it in center. If the images are not specially for 1440 X 900, you may need to choose "Fit to screen", however, it may lower the quality of the Desktop background because the picture is resized.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, December 29, 2008 8:15 AM
  • I just did this and it fixed my background!!!  Thank you so much, nobody else has addressed the actual problem.  They all just think it has something to do with the display under the control panel, thank you again!!!
    Monday, May 4, 2009 10:52 PM