none
Adding drivers to MDT that have no .inf file RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently creating images for a deployment server at work and have come across a problem. A few of the drivers I need to add, including the chipset driver, have no .inf files that I can see, I have extracted the .exe file using 7zip but this just produces a number of random files. Can anyone help please??? I am using MDT 2013 and server 2012 essentials R2

Thanks

Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:00 PM

Answers

• * You should only be using signed drivers in your environment.

* In order to get a *signed* driver from Microsoft, the IHV must supply a driver package that is installed via the *.inf file

* IHV's can add a *.exe wrapper after the fact, but the *.inf driver package is in there somewhere.

I have seen some instances of driver packages that have many working components that require a *.exe to install the individual *.inf parts in the correct order (some display drivers are like that), but these kind of drivers can be installed as an application in the full OS. Any driver required to boot, should supply an *.inf package, if not please let us know so we can shame the IHV in question.

Additionally, some driver packages can be extracted without installation have you tried running the driver package with the /? switch to see if you can extract? or have you tried monitoring the %temp% directory to see what got created?  Driver packaging is an Art.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, August 15, 2014 7:18 PM
  • Sorry for late reply, I have found a way to do this now. I installed the drivers i needed onto a test machine and found the hidden temp directory where some of the files are stored during installation (c:\users\*username*\appdata\local\temp), i then found out that i could extract the .inf file from the .msi file that was extracted here.

• Marked as answer by KevinAlbinson Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:27 PM

All replies

• The INF is the instruction set for the driver files.  It tells the system what hardware id applies to that driver, otherwise it's just some files without instructions on how to use them.  What exactly are you trying to install?  Usually you have a couple options here depending on how saavy you are. 

1. You can use a clean system and capture what the install does with an application like regshot.  -- http://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot/  -- This will probably show you the name of the INF file that's being dropped.

2. You can create a post apply step to silently install that exe.

3. Try to figure out what installer created the exe, if 7-zip is showing a strange structure, chances are its not a standard package.  I've had some luck with using universal extractor though not much here.

If you run the exe with a /? it will usually feed back what the silent parameters are for install.  Your easiest method would be to create a silent install on first boot. 

Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:35 PM
  • thanks for the reply mrbrooks, I will give that a go ;)
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:10 PM
  • im trying to import the chipset drivers into mdt 2013, but as it only recognises .inf files in the "Out-of-box-drivers" section, I need to try and extract the .inf file somehow. I have done this before on other .exe files using 7zip and it worked fine
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:14 PM
  • You have to remember that not all exes are going to work inside of 7-zip.  It depends on what method was used to create it, usually that only works with self extracting executables. What exe are you specifically trying to install, that might give me a better idea of what you're working with.
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:46 PM
  • * You should only be using signed drivers in your environment.

* In order to get a *signed* driver from Microsoft, the IHV must supply a driver package that is installed via the *.inf file

* IHV's can add a *.exe wrapper after the fact, but the *.inf driver package is in there somewhere.

I have seen some instances of driver packages that have many working components that require a *.exe to install the individual *.inf parts in the correct order (some display drivers are like that), but these kind of drivers can be installed as an application in the full OS. Any driver required to boot, should supply an *.inf package, if not please let us know so we can shame the IHV in question.

Additionally, some driver packages can be extracted without installation have you tried running the driver package with the /? switch to see if you can extract? or have you tried monitoring the %temp% directory to see what got created?  Driver packaging is an Art.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, August 15, 2014 7:18 PM
  • Sorry for late reply, I have found a way to do this now. I installed the drivers i needed onto a test machine and found the hidden temp directory where some of the files are stored during installation (c:\users\*username*\appdata\local\temp), i then found out that i could extract the .inf file from the .msi file that was extracted here.

• Marked as answer by KevinAlbinson Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:27 PM