none
Can't checkout Project files from SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have library with 'require checkout' set that contains mpp files.  I have MS Project 2013 (SP1) installed locally.

If I choose edit for one of the mpp files, it simply opens in MS project as read-only and doesn't allow me to save it (only as a local copy). There's no option to check-out anywhere. Obviously I can check-out manually in SP before opening then check in again afterward but it seems clearly wrong that I'm allowed to click "Edit", make changes, but then be unable to save back to SP again (even if you switch back to SP to check-out, Project still thinks you've opened it Read Only and won't let you save back to SP).

What am I missing?

Monday, July 14, 2014 2:13 AM

Answers

• Dylan:

So, you are using Project Pro 2013 with SharePoint 2013 and not Project Server, which is the focus of this forum. In the future, choose the Project Professional and Project Standard forum. With that said, Project is not aware of SharePoint library check-in and check out procedures. So, if you want to use this in a SharePoint library, you must first go to the library and checkout the file, then go to Project and open the file.

Did you know that Project Pro 2013 can synchronize tasks to a SharePoint site? When you use this feature, the project is saved to a hidden assets library in the SharePoint site and your team members can interact with the schedule in the task list in SharePoint. You should explore this option.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Dylan,

Didn't you have this message just above the ribbon in MS Project 2013?

Using Project Server 2013, MS Project by default opens projects in read-only mode, the user having to intentionnally click on the "check-out" button to check it out. That being said, I'm not sure if the behavior is the same with a project plan opened from a SharePoint librairy but it is worth checking this point.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, July 14, 2014 12:22 PM
  • Dylan:

So, you are using Project Pro 2013 with SharePoint 2013 and not Project Server, which is the focus of this forum. In the future, choose the Project Professional and Project Standard forum. With that said, Project is not aware of SharePoint library check-in and check out procedures. So, if you want to use this in a SharePoint library, you must first go to the library and checkout the file, then go to Project and open the file.

Did you know that Project Pro 2013 can synchronize tasks to a SharePoint site? When you use this feature, the project is saved to a hidden assets library in the SharePoint site and your team members can interact with the schedule in the task list in SharePoint. You should explore this option.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:47 AM
  • I use Project Server and have similar issue.

On the server I have a file, which I can edit and save online.

On the desktop I see the message "READ ONLY. This project was opened in read-only mode. Whatever I do, it is still there.

I can save changes only to my PC, but not to the server and I see a message:

"This project is no longer checked out to you on the project web app. To save the different project, click OK and then Save it as a different project"

I can`t do a force check-in, I don`t have the project on the list.

What can I do with it in order to be able to save the changed project to the server?

Thanks

Monday, July 22, 2019 9:41 AM