re-create App-V shortcuts SCCM 2007 deployed applications RRS feed

• Question

• I thought it is possible to recreate shortcuts in the startmenu of the user?

It happens a lot that users accidently deletes a shortcut, we now now solve it by going to Run Advertised Programs, select the app and click on Run.

Would be nice to run this command during logon.

I've looked in the sfttray (and sftmime) switches but can't find it.

We are using SCCM 2007 to deploy the App-V's

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Set the advertisement to run at logon and that it should always rerun?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by Alpejan Monday, March 4, 2013 7:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Alpejan Monday, March 4, 2013 7:21 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 1:16 PM
  • I think you should also add a second mandatory assignment. So next to your logon, create a second one and schedule a custom internerval (every day at 6 o'clock).

Friday, March 1, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hello,

Hi Nicke, great presentation @Microsoft App-V User Group ;-)

I know I can play with the mandatory advertisements, but that's not really my goal. If I tell SCCM to run the advertisement right after logon I HAVE to trust SCCM that the shortcut will be present when the user is logged on. I can't trust SCCM, if SCCM has other things to do this won't happen so fast.

So there isn't a command or wmi/vbs/ps script I can use to place the shortcut in the start menu?

The ideal situation is our environment is to clean and build the startmenu each time the logon script runs. (Only for the location where the corporate shorcuts resides).

Monday, March 4, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Hello,

Hi Nicke, great presentation @Microsoft App-V User Group ;-)

App-V advertisements are set to "Always rerun program" by design, you can't change that.

I know I can play with the mandatory advertisements, but that's not really my goal. If I tell SCCM to run the advertisement right after logon I HAVE to trust SCCM that the shortcut will be present when the user is logged on. I can't trust SCCM, if SCCM has other things to do this won't happen so fast.

So there isn't a command or wmi/vbs/ps script I can use to place the shortcut in the start menu / re-run the Virtual Application advertisements?

What I can do is manually create the shortcut during logon (C:\Windows\System32\CCM\VAppLauncher.exe /launch "%APPNAME%") and only execute this when the App-V is deployed on the system by checking a reg key.

The ideal situation is our environment is to clean and build the startmenu each time the logon script runs. (Only for the location where the corporate shorcuts resides).

• Edited by Alpejan Monday, March 4, 2013 7:33 AM
    Monday, March 4, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Hello,

You could set the advertisement to be allowed to run independently, then the user can execute it from Run Advertised Programs.

See this as a sample script;

http://marco-difeo.de/tag/rerun-advertisement/

There are quite a few out there - if you use google you can probably find one that suits you.

• Marked as answer by Alpejan Monday, March 4, 2013 8:41 AM
    Monday, March 4, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Great, will look into that.

But asking the user to go to Run Advertised Programs and re-run a advertisement of an App-V from which the shortcut is missing is a lot to ask from some users ;-)

Monday, March 4, 2013 8:39 AM
  • Great, will look into that.

But asking the user to go to Run Advertised Programs and re-run a advertisement of an App-V from which the shortcut is missing is a lot to ask from some users ;-). By default our users are allowed to (re)run advertisements.

We are planning a upgrade to SCCM 2012, maybe we can solve this in the new version.

• Edited by Alpejan Monday, March 4, 2013 8:41 AM
    Monday, March 4, 2013 8:39 AM