none
Enterprise Task field content differs in Task my assigment view and Project task summary view RRS feed

• Question

• We have opened an Enterprise field on Tasks and incorporated the field into the Project Task summary view as well as into the my assigment view on Task Level.

Problem is that they do not share the same Content. When assigning Content within the context of the Project plan this Content is not visible on Task Level. If we assign Content on Task Level, the System does recognize the Task as changed and sends an update to the Project owner. Accepting the notification does not incorporate the Content into the plan either.

It Looks like that both views generate their own Content although we are assigning the same field. We like to have the Content visible on both sides, the same is of course true for editing purposes, so comparable to the field %progress.

Does anyone have a clue what we are doing or thinking wrong ? 

Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

it is a common misunderstanding. What you are entering and seeing for Tasks in My Assignment view is information on assignment level.

You have a task, you assign a resource -> this is an assignment. If you assign two or more resources, you will have two or more assignments. Each resource can enter their own values in their task page, but this will not be rolled up automatically to task level. If you open your project e.g. in client, apply Task usage view and add columns for your fields, you will see the values entered by users. Task Usage view is displaying assignments, so the same level user is seeing in "My Assignments" view. PM needs to decide, what to do with these values, if he wants them to be displayed on task level and in which way. Imagine, one user enters A, another one B, .... Project can't decide if you want to see A or B .... Maybe, PM enters C on task level, which will be displayed everywhere wher you look at task level.

Does this explain what you are seeing?

Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

it is a common misunderstanding. What you are entering and seeing for Tasks in My Assignment view is information on assignment level.

You have a task, you assign a resource -> this is an assignment. If you assign two or more resources, you will have two or more assignments. Each resource can enter their own values in their task page, but this will not be rolled up automatically to task level. If you open your project e.g. in client, apply Task usage view and add columns for your fields, you will see the values entered by users. Task Usage view is displaying assignments, so the same level user is seeing in "My Assignments" view. PM needs to decide, what to do with these values, if he wants them to be displayed on task level and in which way. Imagine, one user enters A, another one B, .... Project can't decide if you want to see A or B .... Maybe, PM enters C on task level, which will be displayed everywhere wher you look at task level.

Does this explain what you are seeing?

Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:01 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

thanks a lot that explains the Problem nicely. Is there a way to concatenate the assignment specific Information, meaning the resource specific Content of the field, into a Project visible field on Task Level. That would be really helpful. We could then handle communication between both Levels with two fields, one coming from the PM, e.g. with Task Details (read only only assignemt view) and an other one with some Feedback consolidated on Project Task Level but edited on assignment Level.

Josef

Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:54 PM
  • Hi Josef,

for a kind of automatism, you can only use a macro in Project client. Is this an option for you? If so, please let me know your field name and I will provide a sample.

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, August 11, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

that is very kind of You. However, we like to use this function in the context of PWA, so a macro in Project is not the way to proceed. I think there is still a gap in the PWA implementation, since visualization of Long or even formatted text Content is not possible. So the only way I can think of is to code communication in numbers and then possibly use mathematics to consolidate the figures in one field. Do You know a way to adress the assgnment specific fields in Enterprise Field definitions using the formula methodology ?

All the best

Josef

Monday, August 11, 2014 3:31 PM
  • Hi Josef,

I am sorry, there is no OOB solution for you. You can define task fields to roll-down (unless manually specified). But there is no way to roll up from assignemnet to task level, no matter of data type. So PM has either to consolidate manually, or use a macro in client or you write some code consolidating values on server (but I am not sutre how to, to be honest).

Sorry
    Barbara

Monday, August 11, 2014 5:47 PM