New-moverequest Error: MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make connection to the server. (hr=0x80004005, ec=2423) RRS feed

• Question

• I am migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 between AD forests.  Exchange 2003 is in legacy forest, Exchange 2010 is in new forest.  There is a 2 way external trust between the forests.  I have migrated test user accounts from the 2003 forest using ADMT.  When trying to run new-moverequest from EMC Powershell in 2010 environment, i get the following error: "Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService encoutered an exception.  Error: MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make connection to the server. (hr=0x80004005, ec=24r23)" 

The command I am running is:

New-moverequest -identity "useraccount" -remoteglobalcatalog "legacyGC.legacy.com" -remotelegacy -targetdeliverydomain "target.com" -remotecredential $Cred -targetdatabase "mailbox database 2010" -mrsserver cas.target.com

The user credentials for $Cred have exchange full administrator rights in legacy 2003 org. 

I have successfully migrated the same user, using the same credentials to a legacy 2007 Mailbox/CAS/HT server I have installed in the same 2010 org.  So I know the user has permissions.  During the "move-mailbox" on 2007 server, i do get a warning saying "log on to user mailbox failed, will retry in 60 seconds", but after a few seconds the migration began and was successfull.

Could the new-moverequest be timing out during the authentication phase when talking to the legacy GC?  Is there a setting to extend the timeout setting?  The legacy exchange 2003 environment is running mixed mode, could this be causing a problem?

Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:37 PM

Answers

• So, for anyone who is experiencing the same poblem, I had case open with MS and found a solution.

The new-moverequest was failing because it could not find the sourcemailbox server by NetBIOS name resolution.  The trust was setup properly and I could ping the source mailbox by fqdn; however, I could not ping by shortname. 

To fix this, I had to set DNS suffixes for the trust domains in the Network TCP/IP settings.  Once I was able to ping by shortname, the new-moverequest cmdlet worked fine.

Now, I have to find out why after the mailbox moves, Get-CalendarProcessing cannot open the new mailbox.
    • Proposed as answer by Henti Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by jsilber Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:12 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:04 PM

All replies

• So, for anyone who is experiencing the same poblem, I had case open with MS and found a solution.

The new-moverequest was failing because it could not find the sourcemailbox server by NetBIOS name resolution.  The trust was setup properly and I could ping the source mailbox by fqdn; however, I could not ping by shortname. 

To fix this, I had to set DNS suffixes for the trust domains in the Network TCP/IP settings.  Once I was able to ping by shortname, the new-moverequest cmdlet worked fine.

Now, I have to find out why after the mailbox moves, Get-CalendarProcessing cannot open the new mailbox.
    • Proposed as answer by Henti Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by jsilber Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:12 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Thank you, Thank you, Thank you jsilber. I was pulling my hair out looking for AD problems, permission problems etc.
    My situation is 1 root and 5 sub domains. Mailbox move worked from root and sub domain that exch2010 server is a member of.
    Once I put in DNS suffixes all test users from other domains migrated sucessfully.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Thank you for posting, I had exactly the same problem. Thumbs up!
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Did you ever figure out what the problem was with the Get-CalendarProcessing? We are seeing the same issue as well. Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Thanks, It works for me.

I have exchange 2003 and exchange 2010 in two forest, and transfer special user from 2003 to 2010.

Monday, April 26, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Thanks a lot . 
    I had exactly the same problem and I dont move mailbox. I added source server hostname into c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc hosts file.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:16 AM
  • I am receiving this exact error as well. Could you elaborate on how you fixed it?

Thanks,

Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Add host file entry!
    Marcelo Lagden
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Thanks for sharing jsilber, this fixed our issue!

Regards, Paul www.servercare.nl

Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Thanks for sharing your solution; Although I added entry in hosts file and it solved my issue.

Regards,

Mohammed Adel

Monday, April 9, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Wow!  Very well. I can fix it adding both dns sufix in network adapter.  Thanks a Lot. 
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:59 PM
  • thanks a lot jsilber ,but what did you add and could you please give steps in detail .

Anand Shankar

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:33 AM
  • We had the same error, specifically:

MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make connection to the server. (hr=0x80004005, ec=24r23)

We tried all of the fixes mentioned here and none worked.  Ping/net view/etc all worked fine via fqdn and netbios name cross forest.

We opened a case with Microsoft who also worked on it for quite some time.

In the end it was an ASA firewall blocking or corrupting RPC.

The fix was to add the following in the ASA "inspect dcerpc".  I'm not sure if there was more to the config but this would lead you in the right direction if all of the above fail.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17465

-=Chris

Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:15 PM
  • I had the above error moving mailboxes from 2003 to 2010 Exchange.  To fix it on the 2010 mailbox server I opened an admin common prompt and ran

nbtstat -RR

This registers the server in WINS, assuming you run WINS in your AD environment.

I also ran

ipconfig /registerdns

Just to make sure it's registered in DNS

Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:33 PM
  • Also make sure all the exchange services are running.

Was receiving the same error on a old exchange server that had been powered off for long period. 

Turned out that not all the services had started when the server started up resulting in the error above when trying to export mailbox.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:21 AM