Missing Desktop Icons RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a single roaming user who is unable to see any icons whatsoever on their desktop. They are one out of around 60 users all using the same GPO, etc, with Folder Redirection for Vista Enterprise Edition. Connectivity to the network is fine, I can see their server-side roaming profile, and even their local C drive profile under Users. I can create new short-cuts and files, etc on there, but it doesn't show on the computer's background. Have re-created server-side and local profiles. Have also tried logging onto different computers, but still nothing. Looking at the event logs, there's nothing to suggest there are issues loading the profile.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:06 PM

All replies

• have you checked the server side to see if their profile folder,specifically the desktop folder has the hidden attribute set? pls do that and see
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Hi Tunde,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd already checked.

Any other ideas?

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:16 AM
  • don't exactly know what next to suggest since i know little about the history of your "problem user" and infrastructure.check this guide(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489(WS.10).aspx) just for hints.Goodluck
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

Please try righti clicking on the desktop and clicking on properties and checked the show desktop icon.

Please test using another user account on the same PC.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon LiuModerator Monday, February 14, 2011 3:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by dharmz Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:02 PM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi Magon,

We tried that, still no joy. Any other ideas?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:05 PM