RMS Server to ADRMS Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We had a cluster with two RMS server. Suddenly one RMS server admin console stop functioning and could not access to RMS Admin dashboard. Other RMS server in the same cluster is working fine without any issues. Now i'm planing to migrate the excisting RMS server to Windows server 2008 ADRMS. My concerns are,

1. Do i need to wipeout any records which was created by faulty RMS server. (RMS Server 2 in the cluster).

2. Can i do an one time migration from last RMS server to ADRMS by using the guidence in the following article. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753683%28WS.10%29.aspx.

3. If unfortunately users can not connect to new ADRMS server once the migration done can i revert it back to old RMS server settings?

Since we had a 2 node RMS cluster and one node is not functioning correctly my plan is to install windows server 2008 R2 on failed node and install ADRMS role to it and continue with migration steps mentioned in above KB article.

Dilshan 

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Dilshan,

For #2, it might be easier to migrate your RMS server infrastructure still running under Windows Server 2003 to a AD RMS server infrastructure that is running on Windows Server 2008 R2 on a new or different hardware.

A guide has been published on the steps of how to manage this approach and it is available here: Migrating from Windows RMS to AD RMS in a Different Infrastructure (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj835767(v=ws.10).aspx).

It is a bit different and involves a bit more work to complete than the checklist from the original RMS to AD RMS migration guide you mentioned, which assumed that you would be keeping the original RMS server infrastucture and doing an in-place upgrade or migration on it.

Using this new guide, you should be able to use the existing RMS infrastructure until you have verified that the new AD RMS infrastructure is ready for use. You can then in the last stage, decommision and retire the original RMS server infrastructure. 

Hope that helps!

Brad Mahugh
    Senior Technical Writer
    AD information eXperience (iX)
    Microsoft Corporation
    ------------------------
    This post is provided "AS IS" and confers no promises of current or future technical support for a specific support issue. Please use Microsoft product support if you need a service commitment for your current support case or issue. If this answer has been helpful to you, please "Propose as Answer" as that will enable me to better know I have helped you or inform others that this reply can be useful to them should they have a similar question or issue.

Monday, December 3, 2012 1:24 AM