can receive but cannot send using Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am away from home using my laptop.  When I try to send an email from Outlook 2010 nothing happens.  The email stays stuck in the Outbox.  If I do a send/receive, I receive incoming email.

I am able to bypass Outlook and send emails using the the failing email address "xxxxxx@charter.net".  So I am able to reach the ISP to send and receive. 

If I do a 'repair', I receive the message that Outlook cannot connect to the outgoing (SMTP) email server.  But Outlook can receive incoming email from the POP side.

I am a thousand miles from my installation material.  So reinstalling is not an easy solution.

I have a red box checked labelled "Working Offline".  I cannot clear the "Working Offline" status.

Any ideas?

ubi

• Edited by cyclist100 Monday, September 17, 2018 3:07 PM
    • Edited by Steve Fan Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:33 AM remove email address for privacy
    Monday, September 17, 2018 2:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It looks something is wrong so that Outlook is not able to connect to the outgoing mail server.

>>I am able to bypass Outlook and send emails using the the failing email address "xxxxxx@charter.net".  So I am able to reach the ISP to send and receive. 

By this, do you mean when sending/receiving emails via the webmail interface of the same email account, everything is OK?

>>I am a thousand miles from my installation material.

You may also contact your ISP and confirm whether any adjustment is required when you are using Outlook in another country or area. You may need to adjust the port number of your outgoing server setting as some the country/area could have blocked the port number you are using.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:49 AM
  • By this, do you mean when sending/receiving emails via the webmail interface of the same email account, everything is OK?  YES

I am in Colorado.  Since the state approved the use of pot, I believe they stayed in the union.  No different country.

I do not understand why Outlook on Send/Receive tab shows Work Offline icon with a red X.  I have been unable to clear this X.

This Work Offline Xed seems to be the reason I can receive with Outlook but cannot send.

ubi

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 11:25 AM
  • Thank you for the update.

>>I do not understand why Outlook on Send/Receive tab shows Work Offline icon with a red X.  I have been unable to clear this X.

Do you mean a red X like this?

If so, this is how the icon was designed. You need to check whether the button is highlighted or not.

If the icon is highlighted like this, it means you are in work offline mode. Try clicking the button to see whether you can toggle the status. 

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:04 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:44 AM
  • Any update here?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:05 AM