Service Manager Data Warehouse is registered and MPSync Job is running but has empty details. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've already installed the Service Manager and the DWH on two Machines. The registration of the DWH in the administration section of Service Manager Console seems to be okay, according to the documentation. When I want to look into the details of the MPSync Jop there is nothing shown. The Job is running but the detail list is empty and the Job runs and runs. After the whole weekend I thought that the Job has finished, but it's already running.

Have you got any ideas what's wrong?

best regards
    Lutz
    Monday, October 26, 2009 11:20 AM

Answers

• Some issues has been identified around the globalization of the product. Its the combination of System Locale, Display Format, OS language and default language of User profiles. Below are the findings around the German deployments. The Fix for that exception is worked upon. In the mean while, could you ensure that OS, locale, service account user settings are all of English-US. Here are some of the findings with German language.

OS Language

System Locale

Format

Service Account User

Findings

German

US

US

Domain User

of US Locale profile settings

No format exception

German

US

German

Domain User

Format Exception

US

US

En-UK

Domain User

Format Exception

German

German

German

Domain User

Format Exception. But works when we change Locale and Format to English US

German

EN-US

En-US

Domain User

No Format Exception.

German

EN-US

En-US

Local System

Format Exception. Apparently the OS Language got used internally.

• Marked as answer by Lutz Schedler Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:07 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:09 AM

All replies

• Any relevant error/warning message in the Event viewer under the Event Viewer->Applications and Services Logs-> Operations Manager ? You might want to look for one around the time the DW installation was finished.

Monday, October 26, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Hi,

there are no relevant entries in the viewer.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:15 AM
  • Hmm.. Lets check couple of more things :

On DW :
    - Whats the Management Group names given to the DW, with whom the SM is registered ?
    - Whats the environment in which you have installed the DW? What are the machine configurations ?
    - Do we have the product installation and the databases on the same machine Or different ?
    - Does the mentioned user has sufficient privileges on the DW machine and the database server ?
    - What are the accounts used for installing the DW ? Did we use the Local Service account as the Service Account, Or did we mention specific user ? 

On SM : 
    - Whats the Management Group names given to the SM ?
    - Whats the environment in which you have installed the SM? What are the machine configurations ?
    - What are the accounts used during installation? Did we use the Local Service account as the Service Account, Or did we mention specific user ? 
    - Does the mentioned user has sufficient privileges on the SM machine ?

- You mentioned "Service Manager and the DWH on two Machines.". So did you try registering this SM to both the DWH, or just one of them ?
    - What version of the product do we have on SM and on DWH ?
    - Is this the only environment in which you see MP Sync Job is running forever ? Or you have similar experience in another environment as well  ?
    - How did we register the SM to the DW ? From Service Manager Console, Or using powershell scripts ?
    - You mentioned that there are no "relevant entries in the viewer" ? Is it the same in both SM and DW ? Just confirming.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Okay, that are a lot questions ^^

The basic environments are the same... Win 2k8 Std. 64bit with MS-SQLServer 2k8 Enterprise Edition.
    All installations were done by a domain user that is an lokal administrator on both machines an for the MS-SQLServer, too.

The Version of the SM/DWH is the Beta 2 of SCSM 2010.
    As service account for SM/DW I tried to use this user and an other user with similar privileges.
    DW Management group is DWH_Admins.
    SM Management group is SM_Admins.
    The registration of SM to DW I tried in both ways. from console and using powershell scripts. Both seems to work, so 'Get-SCDWMgmtGroup' shows the right groups.
    For DW installation I tried both, databases and DW-Manager on the same machine and on different machines. Both ways end with the same result.

I found no relevant viewer entries on both machines.
    This is the only environment in which MP Sync Job is running forever. But it's the only one we use it ;-) so there are no possibilities for me to compare with other installations.

I hope, that these information will help to find the problem.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Whats the Language Format of the DWH system. ( Control Panel -> Region and language Options -> Format Tab ( First Tab )). Is it different from the System Locale ?  If different, can you change its Language format to "English (United States)" and restart the Services ? 
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:20 AM
  • The Servers both have "English (United States)" as language format. The System locale is set to United states, too.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Im having much the same problem, i have however found some SPN conflict in the event log. Have you checked for the same ?

Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:12 AM
  • I've checked it, but there are no conflicts at all. According to the Event logs, everithing is fine.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:29 PM
  • In DW management server, from the operation manager event log, do you have any error / warning message? If you do have any, please paste them here to help us figure out what is wrong. I can tell something is completely wrong in DW side.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Hi,

I've just done a reboot of de DWH Machine. But I can't understand, because I use the same user account like before and nothing was changed, but now there is shown a warning with the following text:

Incorrect user information detected. The domain name, user name or password were not valid. Ignoring the given credentials and proceeding with the default workflow account:

User information detected:
    Domain name: 
    User name:

After this Warning now there is shown an error with the following text:

A module of type "Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestration.Module.WorkflowWorkItemModule" reported an exception System.FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.
       at System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles)
       at System.DateTime.Parse(String s, IFormatProvider provider)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestration.WorkItem.ShredReader(XmlReader wiInstance)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestration.WorkItem..ctor(XmlReader wiInstance)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestration.WorkItem.GetWorkItem(String processCategory, String process)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestration.Module.WorkflowWorkItemModule.PollForNextWorkItemItem()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestration.Module.WorkflowWorkItemModule.OnDataItem(DataItemBase dataItem, DataItemAcknowledgementCallback acknowledgedCallback, Object acknowledgedState, DataItemProcessingCompleteCallback completionCallback, Object completionState) which was running as part of rule "ETL.MaintenanceRule" running for instance "Data Warehouse Server" with id:"{6758A685-3F42-10EF-47D2-496242819115}" in management group "DWH_Admin".
    Friday, October 30, 2009 12:05 PM
  • Hi Lutz

I have a similar issue on a thread not far from this! I was seeing the credential issue as well but I think this might be just on server start and might be more timing on database availability\ server starts. Since changing the services to start manually. Starting the server. And then manually starting the services, I don't see the credentials error any more.

I also initially saw the SPN error but have since made all the service accounts domain admins and sql sysadmins (and service manager admins) to rule out any permissions problems as I am in an isolated test environment.

I do however, get the string not recognized as a valid datetime error. And the sync job just stays as running.

Cheers

Graham
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Some issues has been identified around the globalization of the product. Its the combination of System Locale, Display Format, OS language and default language of User profiles. Below are the findings around the German deployments. The Fix for that exception is worked upon. In the mean while, could you ensure that OS, locale, service account user settings are all of English-US. Here are some of the findings with German language.

OS Language

System Locale

Format

Service Account User

Findings

German

US

US

Domain User

No format exception

German

US

German

Domain User

Format Exception

US

US

En-UK

Domain User

Format Exception

German

German

German

Domain User

Format Exception. But works when we change Locale and Format to English US

German

EN-US

En-US

Domain User

No Format Exception.

German

EN-US

En-US

Local System

Format Exception. Apparently the OS Language got used internally.

• Marked as answer by Lutz Schedler Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:07 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

I only had to change the Profile settings of the Service Account User. System Locale and Format I had already set to EN-US. It seems, that OS Language doesn't metters, because I used an English Version of Win 2k8 Server and there were the same Problems and Solutions.

Now MPSyncJob is working fine, so thanks a lot for your help!

best regards

Lutz
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:13 AM
  • Hi Lutz,

The profile setting you changed could you tell me what setting and where please. I thought I had changed all my settings but I think I am missing something. I have a issue very similiar to your one.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 7:29 AM