Constant blue screens when trying to run Duet Display on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong sub-forum. I'll close this thread and restart it where it needs to go if I'm pointed in the right direction.

I just found out about Duet Display for iPad and how I can use it to connect to my PC, but I keep getting BSODs whenever I try to actually connect the two together.

This is the email I sent to the support team:

=

"I am trying to use Duet to link my iPad up to my Windows 7 laptop, but while it initially tries to connect, the display on my computer will briefly change and then my computer will immediately bluescreen.

"I've tried reinstalling Duet, selecting more efficient settings, making sure my iPad and Windows are up-to-date, uninstalling and re-installing my iTunes and other Apple software, and updating my video card drivers, restarting with almost every change, but the bluescreen continues to occur every time. The error that I think I keep seeing before my computer restarts is "SERVICE_EXCEPTION" (I don't remember if it says "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" or not).

"I've attached a collection of the files generated from each crash so far. One set is from before I tried troubleshooting on my own; the other is from after.

"Please let me know if there's any additional information I can provide about my computer or the error message I am getting.

"Thanks in advance for the help!

"My Setup

"iOS Hardware: iPad6,8
    iOS Version: 11.2.6
    duet (iOS): 1.5.7

"Desktop Hardware: ASUS ACPI x64-based PC (8 GB RAM, Intel Core i7-2670M CPU @ 2.20 GHz)
    Desktop OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Service Pack 1
    duet (Desktop): 1.5.1.4"

=

I should add that the particular version of Duet I got for my desktop is actually 1.5.1.4b (I had to confirm this after the fact).

The response I got from Support was:

=

"We have ready a new version for Windows PC of Duet Display, Please uninstall Duet and restart your PC. Then download new version 1.5.1.4b [I've removed the link here] and install again. Make sure to restart your PC and power cycle your iPad to complete the installation.

"Let us know how this work for you."

=

So, they want me to uninstall the program again, re-download the same setup file, and reinstall and restart both devices. I would get it if there was a sign that the setup file I downloaded was corrupted, but the program by itself works fine until I actually try to make it connect the computer to the iPad.

I was wondering, if I linked to the dump and error report files here, would someone be able to help me identify what the issue might be (hopefully without unnecessary repetition of things I've already tried)?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zsx7jhzciqQm5OQlVFUzcxRm5Pdm4tY1NFSk5DanF5bmdJ/

If it would be easier to unzip the individual files and post them that way, or if I need to put up more information about my computer's specs, please let me know and I'll edit this post to do that.

Thanks for the assistance!

• Edited by Dalennau Saturday, March 17, 2018 12:42 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2018 8:26 PM

Answers

• https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Zsx7jhzciqQm5OQlVF3UzcxRm5Pdm4tY1NFSk5DanF5bmdJ

Not Found

Error 404

To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is 1 file for you to find manually:  memory dump file:

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter each of the above to find results.

Sometimes the dxdiag file needs to be found and saved manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Friday, March 16, 2018 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Dalennau.

Could you please share the .DMP files on your OneDrive or check the URL where you've already posted them? The browser says "Page not found".

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Friday, March 16, 2018 8:37 PM
  • Apple is the publisher of the Dues feature/software and Apple is the one you need to consult with for assistance with their product.

Microsoft does not provide support for any 3rd party product!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, March 16, 2018 9:02 PM
  • https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Zsx7jhzciqQm5OQlVF3UzcxRm5Pdm4tY1NFSk5DanF5bmdJ

Not Found

Error 404

To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is 1 file for you to find manually:  memory dump file:

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter each of the above to find results.

Sometimes the dxdiag file needs to be found and saved manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Friday, March 16, 2018 9:34 PM
  • Ah, I must have messed up the link to the .zip file containing them. I haven't been able to fix it in the original post (I asked for my account to be verified, but I keep getting the message that my thread's been marked as spam), but here's the actual working link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zsx7jhzciqQm5OQlVFUzcxRm5Pdm4tY1NFSk5DanF5bmdJ/view

Please let me know if there's more information I can provide.

Thanks!

Saturday, March 17, 2018 1:02 AM
  • It seems that Duet is actually made by people who only formerly worked at Apple? I don't really know why I'd try to ask Apple for assistance for a product that they apparently didn't develop, especially since the issue I'm having is causing my PC to freak out, not my iPad.
    Saturday, March 17, 2018 1:05 AM
  • Okay, I've gone through and run the commands like you said to, and I've got them up on OneDrive now.

Here are both the old and new folders with the information I collected.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ak6sQgQ5g38sgRNTcBsr7YOUD4xL

I think some of the files between both of them might be redundant, like perhaps the dump files. I hope that's not too much of an inconvenience.

Please let me know if this link still isn't working - I messed up pasting the original link on Google Drive, but I have both folders uploaded there as well.
    • Edited by Dalennau Saturday, March 17, 2018 1:48 AM
    Saturday, March 17, 2018 1:46 AM
  • It seems that Duet is actually made by people who only formerly worked at Apple? I don't really know why I'd try to ask Apple for assistance for a product that they apparently didn't develop, especially since the issue I'm having is causing my PC to freak out, not my iPad.

The reason you need to contact the publisher of the software is because the software developers are the most qualified to troubleshoot problems with their software.

https://www.duetdisplay.com/

https://help.duetdisplay.com/

Microsoft cannot troubleshoot 3rd party applications because they do not have direct access to the software code.  Only the developer has direct access to the code and they are the most informed about it behavior and they are the only ones that are able to trace problems with their software.

The manufacturer or the publisher of all 3rd party products should always be the 1st source of assistance with any product.  Of course there are those that believe logic should not enter into any situation because the logic will only cause confusion!!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, March 17, 2018 12:24 PM
  • When there is pirated software on the computer (any company) nearly anything can happen on the computer.

This includes software that diverts the activation.

If you can remove the pirated software and resubmit the log files we can provide help.

Saturday, March 17, 2018 4:24 PM