none
Enterprise Project Types - Default can't use a project template RRS feed

• Question

• I was cleaning up our project types and was trying to switch our default.  Apparently the default project type can not be associated with a project template.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this "feature"?  Wouldn't it make more sense that of all project types, the default would be the one with a template?

• Edited by dcase840 Friday, January 5, 2018 7:22 PM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hi dcase840,

The reason for this feature is that it enables you to create a new project directly from MS Project.  So if you open MS Project, enter some tasks, and save it directly to Project Online, then because you have not chosen the EPT from the browser, project online must choose an EPT for you (because of any associated workflows, PDPs and customised sharepoint site) and it chooses the default one.  Now because the project has been created directly from MSProject and will have tasks associated with it, it does not make sense to have a project template associated with it.  

Hopefully that make sense and clears up the confusion.  Personally I would like some way to hide the default EPT from the drop down list, but this is not possible. 

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Friday, January 5, 2018 7:52 PM

All replies

• Hi dcase840,

The reason for this feature is that it enables you to create a new project directly from MS Project.  So if you open MS Project, enter some tasks, and save it directly to Project Online, then because you have not chosen the EPT from the browser, project online must choose an EPT for you (because of any associated workflows, PDPs and customised sharepoint site) and it chooses the default one.  Now because the project has been created directly from MSProject and will have tasks associated with it, it does not make sense to have a project template associated with it.  

Hopefully that make sense and clears up the confusion.  Personally I would like some way to hide the default EPT from the drop down list, but this is not possible. 

Friday, January 5, 2018 7:52 PM
  • That makes sense, but like you said, would be nice to hide it.  

I was initially using the default for Sharepoint Site projects only, but I'll have to change that approach now that I know how it's used.  Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:47 PM
  • Hi, 

Just to add more to Ben's well-explained answer, there's a walk-around to hide these unwanted EPTs by assigning a dummy Project Department or one which is not set to any user :)

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Sunday, January 14, 2018 12:04 PM
  • I am not able to set a department for the default EPT, so I think this one does not work for the default either.
    Friday, June 15, 2018 10:12 AM
  • Correct, there does need to be a way ALL users can create a project directly from MS Project, so you cannot set either a department or a template for the default EPT.

Friday, June 15, 2018 11:31 AM
  • Great explanation from Ben - the logic behind the reason for the Default EPT and its exclusion from associating with a template can sometimes be difficult to convey.

I have worked with customers where we have explicitly removed the "New Project" option from all but members of the PMO in order to protect the integrity of what is being managed in Project Server/Online and to drive compliance with the standards determined by the available EPT's and their associated Workflow!

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Friday, June 15, 2018 11:31 AM
  • Hi Dom, would you please explain how you did that, it would be good to know.  Presumably it involved some script on the page to remove the button, or did you do it via permissions, so the button remained but the user was denied the option to create new projects?

Friday, June 15, 2018 11:58 AM
  • Ben,

Removing the "New Project" option was achieved through the Security Groups/Permissions - we had a custom group for the PMO with relevant permissions.

The default Project Manager security group has the permission available from Global Permissions>General>New Project Disabled (not allowed). 

As you correctly surmised the result was that the New button in PWA is displayed but disabled. In project pro attempting to create a new project resulted in a permission denied message.

I like the idea of a script to hide the button!

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Friday, June 15, 2018 12:38 PM