Upstream server showing incorrect information RRS feed

• Question

• We have one top level server (6.3.9600.18324) and 10 downstream servers which are a mixture of versions.  The upstream server shows the version number of the downstream servers incorrectly.  For example, there are 5 downstream servers that are 3.2.7600.274 but the upstream server reports that they are all 3.2.7600.251.  It also reports installed/not applicable percentages for downstream servers incorrectly, some are shown as 0%, the highest shows as 69%.  checking the downstream servers shows 99% in most cases.

I have deleted a downstream server from the upstream console, and waited for it to synchronize again.  When it had, the downstream server reappeared in the upstream console, but still shows the wrong version number and inaccurate percentage.

I see other peoples have had similar issues, but I have yet to see a resolution posted anywhere.  What is the point of centralised management and reporting if the information is wrong?

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

Have you enable "roll up status from replica downstream servers" :

Have you configured these downstream servers as "wsus client" of upstream server ?

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:55 AM
  • Hi Elton

Yes, reporting rollup is enabled, and yes, all downstream servers are WSUS clients of the upstream server.  All clients of the downstream servers are getting their updates OK from the downstream servers, and the downstream servers themselves also get their updates OK from the upstream server, but the rolled up reporting is frankly a load of rubbish.

Gordon

Friday, July 28, 2017 11:02 AM
  • Take control of your WSUS environment - use my script on EVERY WSUS Server - downstream and upstream.  It will automate the maintenance routines and clean up the system so that WSUS not only works faster and better, but it cleans up issues with reporting (computer and upstream reporting).

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Saturday, July 29, 2017 3:18 AM
  • Adam

I have used your script many times.  It is wonderful.  However, it is totally irrelevant to the problem I am facing here. 

Unfortunately, now that you have posted, this thread will probably become one of the hundreds of threads on WSUS that never actually get a resolution.  It will attract lots of posts from lots of people with similar issues, the forum guys at Microsoft will give up because the thread has more than 5 posts, and the original problem will never be resolved.

If anyone has anything to offer on THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM, please respond to this; your input is appreciated.  If all you want to do is say "I've got a totally different issue with WSUS, but I'm going to post it here anyway", PLEASE don't.  Also, if you are just advertising how wonderful you are, please don't do that either.  There is a place and time, and this isn't it...

Saturday, July 29, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Adam

I have used your script many times.  It is wonderful.  However, it is totally irrelevant to the problem I am facing here.

You're using the wrong verb tense. Use does not mean USING. My script is developed to run daily, so if you are not running it daily, you are not USING my script.

If you would like, My version 3.0 of my script is not ready yet, but I've changed the way I deal with the Compress Update Revisions and Remove Obsolete Updates streams for downstream servers. 2.11 prevents these from running on downstream servers, but they SHOULD run on downstream servers. I can guide you (or if you know how) to change your 2.11 version of my script to run these streams on your downstream servers.

Your other comment about this is irrelevant here is NOT true. There's a problem with a downstream server and even deleting and letting the upstream re-detect this server means there's a problem on the downstream server's database reporting. My script fixes TONS of reporting issues, and they are usually due to maintenance that needs to be run on the servers, which my script does.

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Sunday, August 13, 2017 3:11 PM
    Saturday, July 29, 2017 1:01 PM
  • By the way, as I'm working on my script, I wanted to point out this description of the Maintenance stream.

Adamj WSUS Database Maintenance Stream
    -----------------------------------------------------

This stream will perform basic maintenance tasks on SUSDB, the WSUS Database. It will identify indexes
    that are fragmented and defragment them. For certain tables, a fill-factor is set in order to improve
    insert performance. It will then update potentially out-of-date table statistics. I recommend that this
    be done daily.

While that bolded statement is not 'version numbers', this is one of the reasons my script would help.

Sunday, July 30, 2017 2:04 AM