Logging for custom Receive Connectors RRS feed

• Question

• Running Exchange server 2016 onprem.  We have two servers setup and both have a custom Receive Connector to allow internal devices to send SMTP email, both internally and externally.  One of the servers works just fine, but the other can only send internal email through it's connector, all external email fails.  I've turned on logging for the "bad" receive connector, and have it set to verbose, but I cannot find where it is logging to.  Running a powershell command to get the current log paths, returns a folder that exists, but it has no log files in it so I'm confused as to where it is actually logging the SMTP traffic for this connector.  Need this to help troubleshoot what is happening.  Thanks!
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 3:54 PM

Answers

• I did originally after making the change, but went ahead and did it again a few minutes ago, let it sit for a bit then retried sending an email through a multi-function printer and it failed again.  The path I'm looking for logs is this:  C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Hub\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive

There is nothing in that particular folder.

SHould be:

\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive

• Marked as answer by BClark22 Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:38 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:34 PM

All replies

• Running Exchange server 2016 onprem.  We have two servers setup and both have a custom Receive Connector to allow internal devices to send SMTP email, both internally and externally.  One of the servers works just fine, but the other can only send internal email through it's connector, all external email fails.  I've turned on logging for the "bad" receive connector, and have it set to verbose, but I cannot find where it is logging to.  Running a powershell command to get the current log paths, returns a folder that exists, but it has no log files in it so I'm confused as to where it is actually logging the SMTP traffic for this connector.  Need this to help troubleshoot what is happening.  Thanks!

Did you restart the transport service?

Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:03 PM
  • I did originally after making the change, but went ahead and did it again a few minutes ago, let it sit for a bit then retried sending an email through a multi-function printer and it failed again.  The path I'm looking for logs is this:  C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Hub\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive

Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:28 PM

SHould be:

\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive

• Marked as answer by BClark22 Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:38 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:34 PM
  • Thanks Andy!  I just came across that by manually digging through every folder under Logs.  I now see the issue and have an idea of how to fix it.  Appreciate the help!
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:38 PM