can't access folders after move them from partition to another secured with bitlocker RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I moved folders  from desktop to another partition in the hard , this partition secured by bitlocker in windows 10 .

when I reinstall windows 10  I can't access these folders in this partition and can't move them again . and windows said I haven't permissions to access these folders . 

note that : partition C wasn't secured by bitlocker .

and I have key was saved in txt file .

Thanks .

Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Here is a complete description of the settings, check out this article:

How to Recover Your Files From a BitLocker-Encrypted Drive

https://www.howtogeek.com/263561/how-to-recover-your-files-from-a-bitlocker-encrypted-drive/

Additionally, this forum is used for resolving System Center Service Manager related issues. Next time please post to the correct forum to get more effective help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:14 AM
  • Your problem has nothing to do with bitlocker. Bitlocker would, if not unlocked, block access to the whole partition, so if you see the folder(s), BL is not the key to the problem.

You would simply have to take ownership. As local admin, open the properties of the d: drive, go to permissions - advanced - ownership and set yourself as owner for d: and all subfolders. Close the dialogues, reopen them and change the NTFS permissions of d: to give yourself full access on d: and all subfolders and files.

Friday, November 15, 2019 8:15 AM
  • thanks Xin Guo, but this article isn't the solve to my problem .

my problem is encrypted files , when I trying open any file the message says that I can't access this file , I modified ownership from  security settings to current user as administrator but these files can't be accessed .

note that : these files was on desktop and I moved them to encrypted partition . and when reinstalled the windows , I found these files only encrypted and all other files and folders are accessible .

sorry for publish my question in this forum .

bye.

Sunday, November 17, 2019 9:32 PM
  • thanks Ronald Schilf,

my problem is encrypted files , when I trying open any file the message says that I can't access this file , I modified ownership from  security settings to current user as administrator(local admin) but these files still can't be accessed .

note that : these files was on desktop and I moved them to encrypted partition . and when reinstalled the windows , I found these files only encrypted and all other files and folders are accessible .

sorry, I don't understand ,what is the NTFS permissions?

bye

Sunday, November 17, 2019 9:35 PM
  • Hi,

If possible, could you take a screenshot of the error and upload the images in our forum directly. This will help us understand your issue better.

Did you enable EFS encryption?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/encrypting-file-system-efs-windows-10

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 2:06 AM
  • The NTFS permissions are in the same section as the owner settings. You need to verify whether your user account or the group authenticated users has full access.
    Monday, November 18, 2019 8:09 AM
  • Why is that a solution? Xin asked for clarification. There is no indication that EFS is even used.
    Thursday, January 2, 2020 7:23 AM