none
Best Practices for Capturing Images with MDT and updates RRS feed

• Question

• I need to get some advice here.  I have been using MDT to build my reference images for some time now.  The problem is now when I do Windows 7, it takes FOREVER to do updates.  So I have to wait hours and Hours to build a reference image.  My question is this, or is it even best practice.

1. Can/Should I deploy Windows 7 do updates and do Capture1

2. Next month, Deploy Capture1 do updates and do Capture2

3. The next month, Deploy Capture2 do updates and do Capture3

4. Etc.

I know there is a limit of 3x on <g class="gr_ gr_1204 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="1204" id="1204">sysprepping</g> workstations, so not sure if there is a workaround for this.

Thanks 

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 5:20 PM

All replies

• Set up a virtual machine to be your reference image. Let it auto-update to keep current. When you need a new image take a snapshot of the VM, capture it, then revert back to the snapshot. That way you aren't limited to 3 sysprep uses.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 5:50 PM
  • Yea,  I thought about that as well, but was hoping to hand this off to someone else in my organization.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

i have 2 VM and do it like Dakota with a WSUS

1VM with Windows 7 & Updates

1VM with Windows 7 & Office 2010 & Updates.

Snapshot-Capture-Revert back to snapshot .

Gruß Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft, markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

Friday, August 5, 2016 6:19 AM
  • I was able to automate the reference image build, capture, and replacement of the custom wim file, so it was not a big deal for me to fire it off and wait for a few hours. I was also able to speed up Windows 7 reference image builds tremendously by following this guide:

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/521/Back-to-Basics-Building-a-Windows-7-SP1-Reference-Image-using-MDT-2013-Update-2

And by declining and removing superseded updates for Windows 7 on my WSUS.

Regards,

DLofstedt

Friday, August 5, 2016 10:04 PM
  • As others have noted, ALWAYS use a VM, use a separate share, and follow this guide to the letter.

The issue at hand with slow updates may be the known bug where there is high CPU usage during the update search process. There is a patch that can be added to fix that.

See if this workaround solves the issue: http://wp.me/p3meLZ-qu4

-CLP

Monday, August 8, 2016 3:11 PM