Sequenced Applications that need local admin rights RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm having a few issues with sequenced applications that work when run with local admin credentials but fail without. One example is a Word plugin, Endnote Web. It runs up fine when logged in with local admin rights. When logged in with a standard user account word says it doesn't have the rights to run the plug-in.
    I've tried setting UseSecurityDescriptors to OFF but that doesn't make any difference.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I would believe that something that is captured has  a pointer that sets the path to the current-appdata folder of your user (administrator) which means its not pointing to %APPDATA% but to C:\document and settings\your user account while monitoring \

Try to locate this, or perhaps avoid starting the application while sequencing?

Could be a .ini / .conf file, could be the registry...

/Znack
    • Edited by znack Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:45 PM spell-check
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Any idea why it needs administrative permissions?

/Znack
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:21 PM
  • Some App do check if the current user has Admin priviliges and simply don't run if the formal privilege is not there - regardless of the'd really need it or not. For such checks, you can't do anything with App-V because it does not capture such requests.

However, there are some approaches:
    It might be that you sequenced the app with "Enforce Security Descriptor" enabled. It sometimes helps to disable this option (Sequencer / Deployment Tab). This effectively grants the user full access to all the files inside the virtual evnironment and might solve some issues.

There are OS integrated ways to tell an app the user would be an admin even if s/he is not. This method is called "Shims", bt currently "experts" are not sure if that shims can be applied to virtual applications.

For troubleshooting, you could use Process Monitor and check if the app/macro tries to acees items it can't find, can't modify or whatever..

Falko
    Friday, December 4, 2009 6:14 AM
  • Hello, I'm a bit clearer now to what it is I'm wanting to achieve. My application is Toad 10.0 which is an oracle application. When I install the program on my sequencer pc it is writing files to here: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Quest Software.

In here is the lience file and some other configuration files it needs.

I'm able to get these folders recorded in my sequence and I can browse to them on my Q drive here: Y:\toad.008\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Quest Software

The problem I have is the application is not seeing these files, it is looking to the local C drive.

Am I able to to redirect my application to see these files on Q drive?

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Hello,

If executing a command-prompt within your sequence, how does the %APPDATA% folder look like?

/Znack
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:30 PM
  • %Appdata% is pointing me to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, and what does that folder contain in the virtual environment?

/Znack
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:24 PM
  • Not quite sure what you mean, it contains a number of folders the application needs and the license key file. When I launch the application it is creating these folders on the client but in the administrator profile and not the users own profile.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Open your sequence for upgrade and mark "CSIDL_APPDATA\Quest Software" as "Fully Virtualized" (Files tab). That should help.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Hello,

I would believe that something that is captured has  a pointer that sets the path to the current-appdata folder of your user (administrator) which means its not pointing to %APPDATA% but to C:\document and settings\your user account while monitoring \

Try to locate this, or perhaps avoid starting the application while sequencing?

Could be a .ini / .conf file, could be the registry...

/Znack
    • Edited by znack Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:45 PM spell-check
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:41 PM