ISCSI boot time initiator RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

Just wanted to ask a question. we have microsoft iscsi initiator in box for vista and window 2008. Is this iscsi

initiator a boot time initiatior or software initiator. Cause i am trying to boot vista through network using gpxe and i am not able to do so.

regards,

ato

Friday, August 29, 2008 10:40 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

For detailed information about iSCSI initiator, please refer to the following document:

User's Guide for iSCSI initiator

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/e/9/ae91dea1-66d9-417c-ade4-92d824b871af/uguide.doc

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:20 AM
  •  

Yah i have to learn that window 2008 has inbuilt MS iscsi initiator which has boot time support but i am not still cleared about window vista. From the documents on MS iscsi initiator that i have come through, it seems that windows vista doesnt not have boot time support for iscsi initiator. Correct me if i am wrong and help me if you have some information. Or is there any other iscsi initiator which i can use for window vista and window xp.

Friday, September 5, 2008 11:07 AM
  • the MSFT initiator is not a boot-time initiator.

Some server NICs support iSCSI boot.

The MSFT support win2k3, vista, and win2k8 ... but you need to find an iSCSI boot initiator.

etherboot/gPXE is close to supplying iSCSI boot to the MSFT initiator, but at this point it is difficult to use unless you have significant iSCSI experience.

emBoot at www.emboot.com offers boot-time initiators for XP and w2k3. On XP they have their own windows scsiport driver. On w2k3 their pxe-based iSCSI boot initiator transfers control to the MSFT iSCSI initiator ... so that when you are in Windows you are running on a pure MSFT stack.

I assume that emBoot's pxe-based initiator will also  work with vista and w2k8, although I have never tried it.

Good luck.

Monday, September 22, 2008 2:23 AM
  • Can you see the drives you want to boot from the machine/OS(s) in question? - I'm trying to do this too for Vista, so I'm trying to get Vista working on the machine and then transferring the image to the iSCSI server. I had to back down the version of the iSCSI driver to get the initiator to work, but it doesn't boot (beyond initial start-up).

I suspect that currently unless you do a fresh install of the OS already at SP1 or above (for Vista) you will run into problems with iSCSI.
    Since I was being experimental I started off doing my iSCSI boot with  Ubuntu, then tried XP Home and have only got stuck with Vista.

My boot is PXE -> gPXE (pulling info from http) -> iSCSI, which requires the DHCP server to discriminate between the PXE requests and the gPXE.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:10 PM