none
DPM2010 BMR failed "WSB Event ID: 517, WSB Error Code: 0x80070040). (ID: 30229)" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi on my Windows Serveurs 2008 r2 client my backup works fine localy, with DPM i have this msg on the client side Windows Backup log  (BMR The system cannot find the path specified)

On th DPM server log:

The replica of System Protection on LSDATASRV04.edipresse.net is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)

DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 517, WSB Error Code: 0x80070040). (ID: 30229)

VSS Writers are ok!

with DPM

Backup only system state => OK

Backup system state ons BMR => NOT ok

consistency check done , but not ok!

can you help me?

Friday, June 8, 2012 7:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Try this to see if it reveals anything.

1) On the DPM server, using disk management, make a new volume on the DPM storage pool disk large enought to hold a BMR backup of the effected server.

2) Set up a network share on the DPM server \\DPMserver\bmrshare for that new volume.

3) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\DPMserver\bmrshare

This should show you the list of volumes included in the BMR backup and ask "Do you want to start the backup operation?. - Type Y to continue..

4) Troubleshoot any Windows backup problems that occur, once this works, DPM should be able to take BMR backups.

Windows 2008 backup logs are located in the %windir%\logs\WindowsServerBackup folder.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Cripud,

Have you install all QFE on DPM server ?

Does BMR work localy on your protected Server ?

Verify that DPM allocate enought space for your Replica. DPM reserves 30 GB of space on the replica volume for BMR. You can change this by using the Disk Allocation page in the Modify Protection Group Wizard.

Stephane

Friday, June 8, 2012 8:45 AM
  • Hi Stephane

Yes my BMR works localy on my protected computer.

All QFE are installed on my DPM server , and for my other computers the BMR recovery works fine. But i have this problem only in 2 servers.

I have aldso allocate 50GB for the replica but the problem is the same.

System reserved is ok

System (c:) is also ok

but

Bare metal recovery => failed (with DPM)

This picture is is the log on the protected computer in the Windows Server Backup console

The other  picture are  the log on the protected computer in the Windows Server Backup console

• Edited by cripud Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:44 AM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:36 AM
  • Hi Cripud,

"the specified network name is not longer available" , it's seems that you have some connectivity/network issue between your protected computer and DPM server ?

SystemState/BMR are push from Protected Computer to DPM with SMB protocol. Could you verify that you didn't have any restriction on FW/router ?

Check if you are able to resolve DPM DNS name from your Protected computer.

Stephane.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:09 PM
  • HI

I'have news...

I checked the shared volume on the DPM server

and the problem is

I think this is normal because i have the same with another server but the backup is ok!

i d'ont have problems with the network!! idon't Know but this is a shit problem.....

• Edited by cripud Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:50 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:20 PM
  • Hi,

Try this to see if it reveals anything.

1) On the DPM server, using disk management, make a new volume on the DPM storage pool disk large enought to hold a BMR backup of the effected server.

2) Set up a network share on the DPM server \\DPMserver\bmrshare for that new volume.

3) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\DPMserver\bmrshare

This should show you the list of volumes included in the BMR backup and ask "Do you want to start the backup operation?. - Type Y to continue..

4) Troubleshoot any Windows backup problems that occur, once this works, DPM should be able to take BMR backups.

Windows 2008 backup logs are located in the %windir%\logs\WindowsServerBackup folder.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:34 AM