DFS does not work after restore Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Here is my scenario:

SBS Server 2008 (Servername:Sbs-ventech) and Server 2008 R2 (Servername: Daten, also AD-Controller) (all with latest patches). Both are in the same network (no WAN). I have 2 DFS replications on these servers.
    All users normally works on the SBS Server and the replication on the Server 2008 R2 is only an backup.

After a Hardware defect (Raid 5 was broken), the user changed and worked on the R2 Server, all fine. I restore the SBS Server with a Windows Server Backup. All services works fine after the restore but one of the DFS replication does not work.

DFSDIAG says, that all is OK

The DFS Status report says (sorry, it’s a German Server):

Dieses Mitglied wartet auf die erste Replikation für den replizierten Ordner Daten und nimmt aktuell nicht an der Replikation teil. Diese Verzögerung kann auftreten, weil das Mitglied auf das Abrufen der Replikationseinstellungen durch den DFS-Replikationsdienst aus den Active Directory-Domänendiensten wartet. Nachdem das Mitglied erkannt hat, dass es Teil einer Replikationsgruppe ist, beginnt es mit der ersten Replikation.

This member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder data and does not currently participate in replication. This delay occurs because the Member is waiting for retrieving the replication settings by the DFS Replication service from the Active Directory domain services. After the Member has recognized that it is part of a replication group, it starts with the initial replication.

The Recommended action shows to a dead link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=53335

How can I force the replication?

My problem is, the User have changed files on booths servers.

Can I delete the Replication and start it again?

Please help and sorry for these broken English

greetings from Germany

Andreas

B&G EDV-Systeme * Marl * Germany

Monday, October 22, 2012 10:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You could run robocopy with parameter like /xn to exclude new files on both sides --- However, if old version is the needed copies for some files, you may have to manually sync them before robocopy.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Andreas,

Have a try to reset database of the replication group to see if an initial replicaiton will be performed:

1.       Stop and ALSO disable the DFSR service on <ServerA> server (don't just simply stop it)

2.       In Windows Explorer open the specific drive

3.       Right click on the "System Volume Information" directory and select Properties\Security

Note: You might need to select the option for "Show hidden files, folders or drives" and also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" in the folders view options to be able to even see the "System Volume Information" directory.

4.       Grant your user account that you're logged in with (if a member of Administrators group this will also suffice) "Full Control" to the "System Volume Information" directory.

Note: You may get an error on setting security on some files - this is expected.

5.       Open an elevated/Administrative command prompt. Switch to the "<drive letter>:\System Volume Information" directory

6.       Type the command "rmdir DFSR /s"

7.       Enable and re-start the DFSR service on <ServerA> server

8.       We will then set the <ServerA> server as the Primary member with dfsradmin.exe utility –

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<RG Name> /RFName:<RF Name> /MemName:<Member Name> /IsPrimary:True

Note: Files will be replicated from ServerA to all other targets. So if there is any newer file on other target servers, backup before starting replication.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.

I will check this this Weeckend.

Another Question: Do you know a tool to synchronice the two server manually?

On both Servers Files was change and before I reinitialize the replication I must merge the two Source to one.

Thanks and I report the rusult on Monday

B&G EDV-Systeme * Marl * Germany

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Hi,

You could run robocopy with parameter like /xn to exclude new files on both sides --- However, if old version is the needed copies for some files, you may have to manually sync them before robocopy.

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:19 AM