Compatible version of steadystate for windows 7 RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have about 150 public computers that have windows xp using steadystate 2.5.  When trying to install steady state on a windows7 box it says it is not compatible.  does anyone know how to acquire those same features of locking the hard drive and restricting user accounts for Windows 7?  We are hoping to deploy new computers soon and would like to make use of the new operating system.  There was a feature that was supposed to be built in to W7, but it appears it was removed with the actual release of the product.

any help is appreciated.

• Changed type Sean Zhu - Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:51 AM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 9:15 PM

All replies

• Have you tried using it in compatibility mode to get it to work? Often old software works with that mode.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe My server croaked, need a new one, been out of work for over 18 months.

No, Windows SteadyState is not compatible with Windows 7, especially Windows Disk Protection function. You can use some functions in parental control to restrict the computer:

Parental Controls

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/parental-controls.aspx

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, April 19, 2010 6:20 AM
  • What other options are there for disk protection?  People seem to find a way around restrictions at times and I want to be able to wipe those changes clean.  The other issue is viruses that my antivirus program doesn't catch.  If the users visit websites and find viruses or spyware, it sure is nice to be able to reboot and clean that up.  I will look at parental controls...I hope they've improved-last time I looked it seemed very cumbersome.

Thanks for the reply

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:13 PM
  • Parental Controls do not accomplish what I need.  Also Compatibility mode does not work.  I understand that it might for a regular application, but SteadyState has a hard drive locking feature that doesn't appear to work with any mode in Windows 7.  I was able to get the application to install and open, but could not turn on Windows Disk Protection.  It looked like it would work, but after I reboot it appears to be turned off and I cannot turn it on.

Does anyone know if there is a product in the works similar to SteadyState with the hard drive security features or should I just look for a third party product?  I sure did like the FREE option and it worked great with my XP boxes!

Monday, April 19, 2010 8:34 PM
  • You may want to check this,

http://www.comodo.com/home/data-storage-encryption/data-recovery.php

Functions like SteadyState

Have fun,

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:37 AM