Office 2010, VAMT 2.0, OffVirt.msi, and Frustration RRS feed

• Question

• Yes, this topic bleeds between many things. I'm trying to set up a Office 2010 deployment with App-V. I've sequenced using the Office 2010 MS recipe, which is quite simple. I've installed OffVirt.msi on the client with USEROPERATIONS=1 (I'm using MAK product keys). I want install the product key via VAMT for better control, however, when I perform an "update status" in VAMT, only the Windows XP operating system shows up (which is not managed via VAMT) rather than Office 2010. I'm assuming this is because Office 2010 is actually NOT installed on the client (since it's being deployed via App-V), but I figured the installation of OffVirt.msi would cause the client to appear as though Office 2010 was installed from VAMT's perspective.

I would REALLY appreciate some advice on this - what am I missing here? Thanks so much,

Jeremy

Monday, November 1, 2010 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,

As I said - when using VAMT it would be no-flags as the USEROPERATIONS would be option 2 and, as documented, not something to be used with pushing out a MAK....

/Znack
    • Marked as answer by JeremyRDS Monday, November 8, 2010 11:54 PM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:45 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Never attempted to use VAMT, but they way I interpret the prescriptive guidance is that option 1 is to use VAMT to push out the keys (no flags) or you set to activate on your own and give the installation the key (what you choose?)?

/Znack
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Hi Znack -

The only flag I used for the OffVirt.msi is the USEROPERATIONS=1. Apparently, users will not be able to activate without this flag. Nonetheless, the client does not appear in VAMT.

FYI - Upon further testing, the client DOES appear in VAMT if I use the PROPLUS=1 flag, which is for KMS activation. I'm beginning to wonder if VAMT is not designed for MAK when used with App-V (I'm sure most App-V folks typically use KMS - I'm using MAK for a testing environment).

Jeremy

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:51 AM
  • Hello,

As I said - when using VAMT it would be no-flags as the USEROPERATIONS would be option 2 and, as documented, not something to be used with pushing out a MAK....

/Znack
    • Marked as answer by JeremyRDS Monday, November 8, 2010 11:54 PM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:45 AM
  • ...interesting thought and definitely worth testing out. I'll post my results once I've tried this... Thanks Znack.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:54 AM