Exchange 2010 moving to CAS array setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to get more details on the process when moving from a setup of 2 x Exchange CAS/HUB/Mailbox servers into a CAS array.  The servers are on DAG and so NLB can't be run on the same box.  The users were already configured to point to server1. During failover, users profile need to be reconfigured to point to server2.

If I create a CAS array, stamp the database with the CAS array name.  What happens to the existing client configurations.  What i understand is below.

Outlook 2007 or later - a profile repair needs to be done for the Outlook clients?  This means that manually each Outlook client will still need to configured?  Can the change to CAS array reflect by just closing and reopening Outlook?  If we have created the CAS array, associated the database with the CAS array name, what happens if my existing users are still pointing their profile to server1, are they still able to access their mailbox pointing that CAS server?  Reason for the question is I wanted to see if reconfiguring Outlook profiles can be done in phases.  Also in this regard i believe .ost file is not recreated right?

Outlook 2003 - manual profile reconfiguration, so .ost file will be recreated?

Lastly, if we choose to load balance using ISA 2006 and TMG 2010 via web farm publishing, all clients externally and internally will need to use Outlook anywhere as only web traffic is load balanced by ISA 2006 and TMG, anyone can explain the disadvantages of connecting this way rather than via MAPI RPC for internal?

Thanks

Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Boyoyong,

If you created mailbox databases on Mailbox servers in the AD site before you created the CAS array, you must change the FQDN specified in the RpcClientAccessServer attribute on these databases. You do this using the following command:

Set-MailboxDatabase <name of DB> -RpcClientAccessServer “outlook.domain.com”

You need to restart client to connect new CAS configuration in site. For oulook 2003 it require manuall connect. One of the default settings of the RPC Client Access service is that it requires encryption for RPC connections. You can check this setting using the following command: Get-RpcClientAccess

Anil
    • Proposed as answer by Evan Liu Monday, January 24, 2011 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Evan Liu Friday, January 28, 2011 9:30 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:02 AM