none
IE 11 crashes UNLESS laptop is connected to docking station RRS feed

• Question

• Yeah, the title pretty much says it all. I've got one end user who can only run IE if the laptop is connected to the docking station. If not, IE crashes with the "IE has stopped working" generic message and you gotta end task on it. To clarify: Laptop on battery, IE crash. On ac adapter, crash. Immediately plug laptop into docking station just after it's suffered the crash, IE works fine! the only difference I see in the docking station scenario is that there would be some voltage differences on the incoming current via the pins, but why would IE be affected by that? I'm not even sure I'm right about the voltage but it's all I've thought of so far.

Laptop is a Dell latitude E6420

Windows 7 pro

IE 11

I haven't been able to look at the event viewer yet because the end-user can't give up the laptop yet (She's got firefox as a backup). I only have the information presented above, after seeing the end user for 5 minutes and getting a demonstration of the problem. When she's back from the field, I'll reset the power options back to default, bios too and/or update it. I'm posting here in the hope that it's a known issue I don't know about...

thanks!

Friday, April 10, 2015 2:49 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi pjb515,

According to your description, this issue is a little weired.
    To troubleshoot this issue, the event viewer should have recorded some useful information.
    Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 7:16 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

Thanks for replying, I forgot I had posted here on this issue.

The end user finally came into the office recently and told me IE now fails whether on a dock or not. I didn't bother looking in the event viewer, not sure why but I just wanted to steamroll the issue and get it done. I tried rolling IE 11 back but that failed (I didn't even know what the previous version was, I figured I'd just tell it to roll back and see what happened). Tried reinstall using MS's offline installer, failed. Found a command to run from elevated command prompt:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

I then tried a reinstall with the offline installer, failed but tried to roll back IE again and that worked ok, IE 9 to be specific. I left it there at 9 (She was using Firefox and we don't have anything that requires IE as a front end), and it was decided a couple weeks later that this end user would get one of the 6 new laptops that were purchased. Hers was one of the group of laptops that had already gone off warranty. She just got the replacement and we've put her old one in the pile of loaners.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:48 PM
  • Hi pjb515,

So the issue has been resolved by reinstalling the Internet Explorer?

I am glad the issue has been resolved.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 8:39 AM
  •  fails whether on a dock or not.

Did you look at one of the dumps?  It sounds like it could be a video problem.  Using the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering option might help as a workaround.  (Options, Advanced tab)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 1:34 PM
    Answerer