Cannot convert disks to dynamic or mirror volume RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed 2 1.5TB disks in a w2008 Server Standard edition computer with the intent of mirroring them. When I try to convert basic to dynamic, I get an error message saying "Operation not supported on this object." Is there a size limit for disks? Do I need to make them GPT?

I've tried this procedure various ways: through Computer Manager and DOS prompt/diskpart, by trying the "Create Mirror Volume" right-click choice, and so on. Every way dead ends.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 3:14 PM

Answers

• Problem now solved by upgrading MB drivers with Vista 64bit drivers. However, it is clear that there are issues with these drives. Seagate forums are full of people with all kinds of problems.

So far, though, after upgrade, I have been able to convert to dynamic and create two mirrored partitions, my original goal. I have not, however, tried to create a partition over 1TB, which was problematic before.

Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:09 AM

All replies

• hi there,

what is the make of the disk ( for eg : dell optiplex )

make sure the drives are visible in BIOS ? if so what is the size displayed.

sainath Windows Driver Development
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:35 AM
  • The drives are Seagate ST315003 41AS SATA drives. The drives are visible in BIOs and show as 1500 GB. In Device Manager, the driver is Microsoft Windows 6.0.6001.18000.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:45 PM
  • hi there,

are you still having the issue ?
    sainath Windows Driver Development
    Friday, May 1, 2009 2:50 PM
  • Yes -- any suggestions for me?
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:50 PM
  • The size limit on MBR is 2TB so you would have to make the virtual disk GPT although this shouldnt stop you converting to Dynamic.  Do you not have a raid card, as it would be alot better to let a harware raid card handle the raid.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:02 AM
  • Yes, the motherboard has RAID capabilities. I tried enabling MB RAID but WS2008 doesn't see the drives when I do that, so I'm assuming I need to install drivers. Howerver:

1. There are no motherboard drivers explicitly for 64-bit WS2008. There are for 64-bit Vista -- will that work?
    2. Don't the RAID drivers have to be installed at build time? How would I install these on an existing system if I was able to find the right drivers?

BTW, this is a white box that was built on an EVGA 680i MB with nVidia RAID chipset -- not originally a server-oriented MB.

I don't understand why you are saying that I'd have to use GPT, since I'm under 2TB at 1.5TB. I'd still prefer to use Windows sw RAID, since this drive is for a media server and is overwhelmingly used for reading -- new content is added weekly or less often.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:53 PM
  • I have the exact same problem and have been searching for answers too!  Please share results.

I'm trying to create a mirror under Windows 2008 with the same pair of Seagate 1.5TB drives (ST31500341AS).  For me, it's a lot easier with Windows handling RAID because it sees the drives without having to install hardware RAID drivers with the OS install (drivers have been difficult to load with current Windows install process).  Windows won't create mirror without converting to Dynamic disk first, but when trying to convert to Dynamic disk, Windows responds with message "Operation not supported on this object." 

I found http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Issue-Involved-Converting-Basic-Disks-Dynamic-Disks.html and read notes on how sector size would be an issue if greater than 512byte sectors, but from what I can tell, these drives have a sector size smaller than that because the drive capacity is below 2TB and mathematically, that means less than 512 byte sectors.  I also saw that if system is set for clustering, then OS can't convert to dynamic.  I do not have clustering on.  I've reinstalled several times (with W2K8 SP1, SP2, R2 beta) thinking that OS versions would make a difference, but I have same results so far.  I've also tried changing drive partition from primary to extended and tried allocating space (200MB) before and after the OS partition.  None of these seem to improve the outcome.

Any notes from you are appreciated.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 11:52 AM
  • Well, I guess I can stop blaming the vast right-wing conspiracy --It's a Windows problem! I will post any answer I find here and send you mail should I figure it out.

Because 1.5TB drives are fairly new, I'm suspecting that it something along the lines of what you were investigating -- some disk parameter that Microsoft hadn't anticipated in defining dynamic drives. But I haven't a clue as to what that would be.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Here's some more info that might apply to the situation... http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.mspx

Specifically, last sentence in section 18 of the article. 

"18. What about mixing and matching GPT and MBR disks on the same system?
    GPT and MBR disks can be mixed on systems that support GPT, as described earlier the following restrictions apply:

Systems that support EFI require that the boot partition must reside on a GPT disk. Other hard disks can be either MBR or GPT.

Both MBR and GPT disks can be present in a single dynamic disk group. Volume sets can span both MBR and GPT disks. However, the MBR cylinder alignment restriction might cause some difficulties mirroring or striping MBR and GPT disks."

Saturday, May 9, 2009 11:33 AM
  • I haven't tried the GPT option yet.

More weirdness, though. I've tried to add partitions to both 1.5TB disks. Basically, I can create a first partition (1TB) and format it, but subsequently I can create additional partitions but formatting fails. Both quick and normal. I've tried this repeatedly with the same results.

Microsoft, is it possible that Windows does not how to treat these newer, larger drives?
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Problem now solved by upgrading MB drivers with Vista 64bit drivers. However, it is clear that there are issues with these drives. Seagate forums are full of people with all kinds of problems.

So far, though, after upgrade, I have been able to convert to dynamic and create two mirrored partitions, my original goal. I have not, however, tried to create a partition over 1TB, which was problematic before.

Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:09 AM
  • I tried formatting a volume larger 1TB yesterday and ran into same problem.  What motherboard are you using?  I'm running Tyan S2912-G2NR.  I've also been running some other tests with the S2912's built-in RAID controller.  Although the RAID controller picks up the 1.5TB drives, windows does not see them in the RAID.  It does however see 1TB drives in the hardware RAID.

I found a posting where someone moved their 1.5TB drive to another motherboard and was able to get things to work.  I'm thinking that eventhough the hardware is not supposed to have a limitation until the 2TB boundary, sounds like many of the motherboards' BIOS and windows' built-in drivers are not configured to handle the 1.5TB drives yet.  I will look at upgrading my drivers too and see if that addresses this same issue for me.  Funny thing, I loaded the updated drivers with Windows install when I was trying to get Windows to see the drives through the hardware RAID (it didn't help), but I did not load updated drivers when I did install without hardware RAID (because OS saw the drives when hardware RAID was not used and I simply thought the built-in Windows drivers were working as it installed the OS fine in a 110GB partition).  It appears Windows' built-in drivers are not fully functional to operate drives and volumes larger than 1TB.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 11:58 AM
  • I have an EVGA NF680i SLI MB.

I agree w/you -- while this may not be directly traceable to a flaw in Windows, something is not up to snuff between Seagate, Micrsoft and the MB guys. If this is WHQL in action, they need to up their game.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 11:25 PM
  • If this helps I am having a problem with anything larger than 2 TB partions. I have a 5 TB RAID5 and would like to create a bootable 5 TB partion. Hyper V which is Windows 2008 does not allow me to create one partion. I think it is installing MBR and not GPT partions. When you install Windows 2008 is there an option to choose GPT over MBR? I am not able to figure out how to create a GPT partion on install.  Intel has told me their bulit in controllers on there motherboards are limmited to 2TB partions. I had to buy a separate RAID controller.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 1:32 AM
  • Thanks alot for confirming this.  I'd thought about trying that but since I was pretty set on the "IT SHOULD JUST WORK" thing and there were not 2008 drivers for my chipset I'd almost written it off as some type of hardware/controller failure.  Thanks for saving me a lot of shipping and headaches :)
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:04 PM