Litetouch Deployment failing out of nowhere. -2147023504 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone. We recently switched vendors that we obtain our laptops from. We use the HP Elitebook 9480m. Previously all laptops we received would image fine using MDT 2013 Update 1 and Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 (x86 and x64).

Now we get these laptops in (again, same model) from another vendor and they are failing on deployment. They appear to be deploying fine and after the operating system deployment I get an insanely generic error message:

"Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467256 0x80004005"

It shows this error twice and no additional details. Based on snooping around the web this seems like a very generic error message. What is interesting is if I try to deploy to an older laptop that we previously received from our other vendor it will deploy fine. I checked the BIOS settings between the 2 systems and they appear to be identical. There haven't been any driver updates for this laptops in quite awhile that we haven't already imported that I would think could affect this. Any ideas?

Monday, November 16, 2015 7:35 PM

All replies

• Please post your BDD.log or part of it (e.g. last 20 lines where error occured)
    Monday, November 16, 2015 8:03 PM
  • Uploaded to: BDD.log
    Monday, November 16, 2015 9:01 PM
  • It fails after Driver Installation. Was Domain join successfull?

Could you please provide the smsts.log log file?

Monday, November 16, 2015 10:36 PM
  • If I reboot it I get this error right before I get to the desktop: "Unable to find litetouch.wsf needed to continue the deployment" If I hit on it boots to the desktop and the system is on the domain with all software installed as it should be. I searched for the smsts.log file and it only shows this: [Logging] LogMaxHistory=1 LogMaxSize=10000000 I'm dumbfounded by this.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:33 PM
  • Normally if you get the error:

Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467256 0x80004005

I would suggest looking at the smsts.log file to see what command failed.

However in this case, MDT is broken, and it won't show the details in smsts.log file:
    https://keithga.wordpress.com/2015/08/18/mdt-2013-uberbug03-less-logging-is-not-better/

No real clear way to identify the root cause, other than to experiment on different fixes.

Verify that you don't have any custom steps in Post-Install after ZTINextPhase. revert back to a clean MDT Litetouch Deployment Task Sequence to verify.

If you are still having problems, feel free to open a support case.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:48 PM