none
Linking date cell to a summary sheet/project summary RRS feed

• Question

• Using MSP2010

I have a static master, with a number of similar projects which i have created a summary table for.  with approx 7 projects per master, I would roll up all tasks using custom fields I would be able to display some information on each subproject, some of this info is static, other info (such as dates) I would like to be dynamic.

I have drafted a little example below, where I would like to link the start dates of a specific task/milestone to the custom dates fields I have created(highlighted).  Copy/paste special/paste link seemed to work fine, until I tried to change the start date of a task and an error came up saying that the dynamic link would be broken?  huh?  isnt that the point of a dynamic link?

Can anybody give me an idea of what I am missing here, as it would be great to have the links stay as schedule changes are made.

Thanks.

Friday, September 5, 2014 5:08 PM

Answers

• Nate,

On the surface it sounds like there are link fragments and that indicates file corruption. Paste links in Project are very tenuous. The only time I even consider recommending their use is for creation of hammock tasks.

Unfortunately the screen shot is to small to clearly see what you are trying to show, so you will either need to give us a readable screenshot or detail the process for us.

Normally in a single file, which is what a static master is, task dates are driven by task durations and task dependencies. So what exactly are you trying to do such that this normal schedule structure does not support?

John

• Marked as answer by nategalambos Friday, September 5, 2014 5:34 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 5:19 PM

All replies

• Nate,

On the surface it sounds like there are link fragments and that indicates file corruption. Paste links in Project are very tenuous. The only time I even consider recommending their use is for creation of hammock tasks.

Unfortunately the screen shot is to small to clearly see what you are trying to show, so you will either need to give us a readable screenshot or detail the process for us.

Normally in a single file, which is what a static master is, task dates are driven by task durations and task dependencies. So what exactly are you trying to do such that this normal schedule structure does not support?

John

• Marked as answer by nategalambos Friday, September 5, 2014 5:34 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 5:19 PM
  • Nate,

I see you marked my initial response as the answer, but I'm not sure that really constitutes an "answer" to your issue. Unless a poster's question/issue is very simple and straightforward, my initial response is normally to ask for more detail and that was the case here.

Nonetheless, if you are satisfied with my response, leave it as the "answer".

John

Friday, September 5, 2014 7:14 PM