Windows cannot connect to the domain issue, I fix, then a few days later it breaks again. RRS feed

• Question

• Have an issue with a PC where after a few days it appears to not allow anyone to login and we get this error

Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance.

However it still appears in AD.

I remove the PC from the domain, remove the entry in AD, re-add the PC and works fine.  Few days later, happens again.

I’ve used NewSID to sort out any SID issues, despite Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell retiring it claiming SID duplication was all a myth.  But we’ve found it still fixes some odd network AD issues sometimes.  However, this time it’s not fixed the issue.

Ran this command on the security policies on the machine but it’s also not fixed the issue

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

Removing from domain and re-adding, works fine for a few days but it just fails again.

Getting these event IDs in the logs

NETLOGON Event ID 5721

NETLOGON Event ID 5788

NETLOGON Event ID 5789

NETLOGON Event ID 3095

NETLOGON Event ID 3210

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:11 AM

All replies

• a quick fix; before typing your logon username and password, remove the network cable.after logon is complete,fix back.Still checking for a permanent solution.
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Thanks.  Further investigating I found this.  We have two old domains and a new one.

The PC has been migrated to the new domain.

Domains are (these are made up for the post)

domain1

domain2

domain2.2

PC migrated to new domain domain2.2 but I searched domain2 and found it on there still.  Then clicked on its properties and it showed it as domain2.2 even though I was searching domain2.  Checked in the members of tab and it showed it as domain2

So I've now removed it from domain2 and will leave it for a few days to see if it drops off again.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Great!. but just curious;is domain 2.2 a subdomain of domain2? or a domain in a whole new forest? i'm just looking at a possibility of you being able to logon to both domains which is HIGHLY LIKELY.
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:07 AM