none
Summary Progress Bars in Project Center RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Apologies for the long-winded explanation and questions, but this is a little complex - for me at least :-)

Projects showing in our Project Center currently have the following behaviour:
    Projects showing in the Project Center view display in a similar way to a one-line summary task.
    When progress is updated on the project from within the schedule, a progress bar appears on the Project Center summary task, indicating that work has been partially completed on part of the project.
    In the schedule, all tasks have been flagged as 100% completed up to and including yesterday's tasks, and this progress shows correctly in the schedule for the tasks themselves.
    In the Project Center (after publishing) the progress bar for the project doesn't show that progress has been completed up to and including yesterday - instead it shows as complete up to the week before last.

After much searching around the forums and experimenting, I have found the following:
    I have added a Project Summary Task within Project Professional 2010 to try and mimick the behaviour.
    After adding a rolled up progress bar to this Project Summary Task, it displays exactly the same as the Project Center view (i.e. showing complete up to the week before last). This is with the default bar settings (From-"Task Start" To-"CompleteThrough".
    When I change the To bar setting to "Summary Progress", it shows as we would like it to (i.e. matching the furthest completed task).

In the Project Server settings Look and Feel > Gantt Chart Formats, the progress bar that is displayed in the Project Center has the bar name "Summary Progress".

My questions are:

1. Are the Summary Progress bars as displayed in the Project Center actually based on the CompleteThrough value of the project rather than the Summary Progress value?
    2. Am I right in thinking that because CompleteThrough is based on Actual Duration, (which uses a PMBOK defined algorithm for the summary task, rather than summing all Actual Duration values) the CompleteThrough based progress will never match the last completed task within the schedule?
    3. If so, is there any way to to display a project's actual summary progress in the Project Center views (i.e. matching the last completed task within the schedule) as otherwise executives will be prone to question why a project appears as behind schedule, when it is in fact on schedule?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Kind regards,

Tom

• Edited by ThomasBell Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:06 AM Improving Title Description
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Thomas,

1. yes, you are correct.

2. The completeThrough can match, if you have a schedule with no overlapping tasks, or with some special overlapping. In your case, the progress bar was behind. In my example, it is before: four tasks, all 5 days. A and B starting last Monday, C starting next Monday, D is successour of C. After marking A and B as complete, progress bar will show that I am ahead of schedule.

3. It is possible to create a view displaying what you are requesting. But it is some effort and you will need to touch every existing project. When you looked at Gantt Chart Formats in Server Settings, you saw Custom Duration x, x=1-10? These bars use StartX and FinishX. So you could define formulas for one of these 2x10 fields, and create a progress bar based on them. There are limitations: Interim Plans (Baseline) are using these fields, so if you are working with them, you can't use these fields. Moreover, these fields are "local" fields in some way, you will need to define formulas within each single project (by macro, or for the future in your templates). But it does work, I did a quick check. I used [ActualStart] for Start1 and IIf([Actual Duration]=0;[Project Start];ProjDateAdd([Start];[Actual Duration];"Standard")) for Finish1. I used Minimum as rollup for Start1 and Maximum for Finish1. Important: both fields have to be displayed in view, to get the Gantt bar displayed.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Ps.: And as always: if someone finds an easier solution, I will be happy to learn!

• Marked as answer by ThomasBell Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:21 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

1. yes, you are correct.

2. The completeThrough can match, if you have a schedule with no overlapping tasks, or with some special overlapping. In your case, the progress bar was behind. In my example, it is before: four tasks, all 5 days. A and B starting last Monday, C starting next Monday, D is successour of C. After marking A and B as complete, progress bar will show that I am ahead of schedule.

3. It is possible to create a view displaying what you are requesting. But it is some effort and you will need to touch every existing project. When you looked at Gantt Chart Formats in Server Settings, you saw Custom Duration x, x=1-10? These bars use StartX and FinishX. So you could define formulas for one of these 2x10 fields, and create a progress bar based on them. There are limitations: Interim Plans (Baseline) are using these fields, so if you are working with them, you can't use these fields. Moreover, these fields are "local" fields in some way, you will need to define formulas within each single project (by macro, or for the future in your templates). But it does work, I did a quick check. I used [ActualStart] for Start1 and IIf([Actual Duration]=0;[Project Start];ProjDateAdd([Start];[Actual Duration];"Standard")) for Finish1. I used Minimum as rollup for Start1 and Maximum for Finish1. Important: both fields have to be displayed in view, to get the Gantt bar displayed.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Ps.: And as always: if someone finds an easier solution, I will be happy to learn!

• Marked as answer by ThomasBell Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:21 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:22 PM
  • I ran into this exact issue a couple years ago, and ended up blogging it up:

http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm/archive/2010/04/07/back-to-the-basics-rolling-up-complete-and-elapsed-duration.aspx

In this case, we were using a third party reporting tool and used the revised calculation to drive % Complete in the reporting tool.  It worked pretty well.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Sunday, February 26, 2012 5:11 AM
  • I've just noticed your replies - thanks guys :-)

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Very interesting thread.   Is the SummaryProgress date available as a field via the MS Project API for MS Project desktop? It is available for in the PSI interface for Project Server but it seems to be missing from the COM interface for MSP desktop.   Furthermore this field is not available as a column that can be shown in the grid of MS Project iteslf.  Does anyone have any idea on why this particular date field is not available either in the grid or via the COM API and yet is available via PSI?   This seems pretty odd.

...Jim Black

Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:42 PM