Windows Disk Protection won't turn on RRS feed

• Question

• On our five silver HP mini laptops, Windows Steady State has installed successfully on all but one. In the beginning, when we tried to install Windows Disk Protection, some would say, "Windows Disk Protection was not successful" (Friday), however on the following Monday, we tried again and all but one worked. This one, we had been trying to create a partition on to install a seperate Windows OS in spanish. In the end, we decided merely to convert the language to spanish, since the Mini's are mostly web-based, and don't have cd-rom drives, so there really wasn't any need. Although during our attempt, we converted the C: drive to a dynamic drive, and found ourselves with a mesely 8 MB of unallocated space.

This is the only thing I can think of which would be keeping Windows Disk Protection from installing, even though in all rational thinking, it shouldn't matter - as it isn't interfering with the main drive. It also seems like the computer goes through the process of creating the cache and installing the drivers much too quickly, as if its already there but unable to execute?

I can't really be very specific with resources I've already tried, besides googling "Windows Disk Protection not successful", and a variety of similar keywords.

Everywhere I look for information on merging unallocated space, it requests some type of purchasable software. As these laptops are for a program in our non-profit organization, it really isn't an option. Especially since I cannot see us using the software again anytime in the near future. There is the possibility of trying freeware, but many of the forums I've looked on are unwilling to vouch for it, and should something go wrong, re-installing the OS would be an extreme pain.

The unallocated space is the only thing abnormal about this particular laptop, which is why I highlight it so strongly. Nothing else is wrong with these, since they are brand-spanking new. They have very few programs on them, and I ran disk cleanup, disk defragmenter, and our virus scanner just to be on the safe side before installing. They are also fully updated with security updates, etc with Microsoft.

Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3
    HP Intel(R) Atom(TM)
    CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
    1.60GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:47 PM

Answers

• The problem's been fixed. (: We converted the Dynamic Drive to a Basic Drive, turning it into a "read only" drive. Upon installation of WDP and restart, it works! :D.

I have to admit, the process was kinda scary, knowing if we got it wrong, we'd have to re-install the OS.

Thanks for the help, Sean Zhu. I think it was the formating the hard drive you mentioned that got us looking a little deeper.

Best of wishes on your fourth of July!

(o_o, Just wanted to re-order the replies. Sorry for the weird delete above.)
    • Marked as answer by Vidiea Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:11 PM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:11 PM

All replies

• Hi, thanks for the post. I consider the unallocated space may not be the root cause. As Windows Disk Protection (WDP) is very sensitive to the hard drive problem. I recommend running the chkdsk command without parameter. It will provide a report of the current status of the hard drive.

-------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in cmd and press Enter.

3. Type in chkdsk and press Enter.

Please check if there is error or bad block on the hard drive.

When problem occurs, please also check if there is a cache file (Cache.WDP) under drive C: As the cache file was hidden by default, we need to show the hidden files with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Clear the "Hide extensions for known file type" check box. Click OK.

If Cache.WDP exists, we can manually delete it with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

4. Delete the Cache.WDP file under drive C. Restart the computer.

5. Start SteadyState, “Cache File Is Corrupted” windows will appear.

6. Select “Uninstall Windows Disk Protection and delete the corrupted cache file” and click OK.

After that, please check whether WDP can be enabled without error or not. If this issue remains, we may need to format the hard drive to get this issue resolved in a timely manner.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 9:03 AM
  • Alrighty, when I performed the chkdsk, an error did appear. After it performed step 2, verifying indexes, it said it was unable to continue due to errors on the system. However, I did run it again in order to quote the error to you after I did your other steps, and it says the following: "CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap. Windows found problems with the file system."

Step two went okay.

In Step Three, it was good until I reached where the "'Cache File Is Corrupted' windows will appear." I deleted the Cache.WDP file with no problems, and restarted. Upon clicking Steady State though, I recieved no "Cache File Is Corrupted" window. I could try to install WDP again, but it proceeded like it always has. Quick run through the WDP install, restart, and no WDP upon entry into Windows, as well as a "WDP installation not succesful" warning.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:50 PM
  • The problem's been fixed. (: We converted the Dynamic Drive to a Basic Drive, turning it into a "read only" drive. Upon installation of WDP and restart, it works! :D.

I have to admit, the process was kinda scary, knowing if we got it wrong, we'd have to re-install the OS.

Thanks for the help, Sean Zhu. I think it was the formating the hard drive you mentioned that got us looking a little deeper.

Best of wishes on your fourth of July!

(o_o, Just wanted to re-order the replies. Sorry for the weird delete above.)
    • Marked as answer by Vidiea Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:11 PM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:11 PM