Exchange 2003 Many Many log files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an exchange 2003-environment where every few minutes a new log file is generated of 5 MB

There is no problem with SPAM.

What could be the problem that so many log-files are created without a spam-problem?

Thx

Saturday, January 5, 2013 8:34 AM

All replies

• Why do you think you have a problem?

A transaction log been generated every few minutes only indicates that the system is used (read: messages are submitted)

If you have days, weeks or even months of old transaction logs then you really should check your backups cause that indicates that full backups is not running successfully (Those backups truncates the logs).

Martina Miskovic

Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Hello Martina,

there are 20 GB off log files generated on a day?

That is a problem I think??

Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:21 PM
  • For some organizations 20GB/day would be considered a lot of Transactions Logs, but for others nothing.
    We can't tell you if it is a lot in your ORG.

EXMON might give you a clue on what's going on.

Enables system administrators to view and evaluate individual users' usage and experience with Microsoft Exchange Server.

Martina Miskovic

Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:29 PM
  • I will try Exmon.

In the exchange message-tracking only 50 mails for few hours, but 20 GB of log-files!

Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:35 PM
  • If you are 100%  sure only 50 emails have been sent during the same time stamp as the logs then you have an issue.  check things like av exclusion/as on server/ consider creating a new mbx db and moving users across to it if exmon doesnt show anything.

Sukh

Sunday, January 6, 2013 2:21 AM
  • Not very much information from exmon.

Exchange-logfiles created on last day : 3.84 GB for 50 emails.

Sunday, January 6, 2013 9:02 AM
  • You 100% sure of that figure and for emails sent and log generationWhat about the other things I mentioned.

?

Sukh

Sunday, January 6, 2013 12:56 PM