Monitoring Oracle Cloud - howto ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all .

There is a little issue with it.

We have a small OCI (Oracle Cloud Instance), consists of 3 entities. It has to be monitored  with SCOM.

Essentially , looking for appropriate MP had no results. Most of the famous Oracle MP (Opslogix also, yes !!) do not give you an option to monitor cloud entities, box-based DB only, but we have no box-installed Oracle DB , we need to check cloud things only .

Is there happy people who have decided it already ? Give me please an advice how to do it ?

Another big please too.

PLEASE.

Don't give me urls to Opslogix, Oracle, Nice and other sites mentioned here. Also I have known about all the info given in a Bob Cornelissen's blog article "SCOM Trick 32 – Monitor Oracle".Most of  sources given there, provide kind of aspects about box-based databases monitoring, not for a cloud either. 

Thanks in advance

Andrii

Friday, November 29, 2019 10:23 AM

All replies

• As far as I know such MP doesn't exist, but maybe a "box based" MP such as OpsLogix could still work? It basically runs sql query to get info from Oracle instances, so that may work for cloud based instances as well...

If it is not possible and if Oracle Cloud Instance has an API that provides monitoring info, you could author it yourself (or hire someone to do it for you as this would probably be some serious level authoring). You could even ask Opslogix if they are willing to develop that part for you, they may be interested if they believe it could interest other customers. 

• Edited by CyrAz Friday, November 29, 2019 10:51 AM
    Friday, November 29, 2019 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

As far as I know there's no management pack for the Oracle Cloud, here's what I found in my research: 
    Best Practices for Monitoring Your Hybrid On-Premises and Cloud Environments (featuring JNE and Youngone Outdoor)

You will find a PDF: OOW19-CON5134-Best_Practices_For_Monitoring_Your_Hybrid_Environments.pdf, it gives some information about hybrid monitoring with SCOM.

Here's also some information:
    https://docs.oracle.com/en/cloud/paas/management-cloud/moncs/add-microsoft-scom.html

You can also try asking in the dedicated Oracle Cloud forums: https://cloud.oracle.com/en_US/forums

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, November 29, 2019 10:52 AM
  • Thanks for your answers ! I will think about the option the most useful for me .

And about OpsLogix MP . It doesn't provide a way to connect to OCI either 8) A more clear explanation  - in order to connect to OCI with REST API  I have to provide three parameters - my tennant ID, username and password . My account there have to be included into special group which already has permissions to monitor my Infrastructure. In existing MP there are no  tennant connection at all, no explanations about OCI...they explain only monitoring of a box-based DB.

Friday, November 29, 2019 2:07 PM
  • Ok now I get it : Oracle Cloud Instance is not a database system at all, it's a VM cloud provider comparable to Azure.

So indeed, there is no point in trying to use Opslogix or anyother Oracle database MP.

The second part of my answer is still valid though : if Oracle Cloud Instance has an API that provides monitoring info, you could author it yourself (or hire someone to do it for you as this would probably be some serious level authoring)

• Edited by CyrAz Friday, November 29, 2019 2:46 PM
    Friday, November 29, 2019 2:46 PM