Graphical Bug: Tablet PC Toolbar is not sized to fit RRS feed

• General discussion

• (I'll figure out where to post this eventually!)

UI forum? Right, so this must be the place to indicate this.

*ker-paste*

The Tablet PC Input toolbar icon is distorted. This is likley due to it still using a 16x16 graphic, when the taskbar is now built for 32x32. (Or is it? That's my estimate at least.)

In addition when the properties for it are open, it's taskbar item option icon does not fill it's box. (It uses it's original 16x16 icon.)
    Now this might just be the self-declared designer within me moaning, but for the sake of consistency the Tablet Panel icon should probably be the same size as the other taskbar options. Alternatively it could be shifted into the Notification area like the "Math Input" counterpart.

I've rarely ever used the taskbar toolbars - Quick Launch being the the only one, now replaced by the new taskbar format - so this could easily be moved for consistency and organisation.

da page :B
    • Changed type Ronnie VernonMVP Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:43 AM No Question
    • Edited by Jaabi Saturday, September 5, 2009 11:59 PM
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 10:28 AM

All replies

• And what's this? I've just discovered the issue is in Build 7600 (that's the RTM right?) as well. (Not within my own copy mind you, I'm still on 7100.)

Come on MS. :/
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Isn't that tray icon sized larger for finger or pen touch?
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:41 PM
  • True, but I'm more referring to the icon graphic itself being distorted after being resized for the new SuperBar. (Hey, if people can see hue inconsistencies in the GUI...)
    Monday, September 7, 2009 4:23 AM
  • I tested it in my tray and it seemed ok. Looking at your image I don't see any noticable distortion.

Monday, September 7, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Alright, so maybe I'm just picky after all. XD It's the pen that's the most noticeable to me.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 2:34 AM
  • no, you're not just picky.
    The icon looks awful and is distorted as ____, just compare it to other icons whose edges are smooth.
    But I don't think that it's because the icon is saved in the wrong resolution, because if you change the taskbar icon size to 16x16 it also looks awful.

I just think MS did a poor job on designing this icon.

The pen does look really poor. Very distorded at the edges, just awful.
    The TIP also does not look that much better, the ink looks blurred and the border looks dirty.

It's not always easy to design a good looking icon, because it's so small, but with this icon MS did a really poor job.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:57 AM
  • That icon is fine. A marvoulous sketch of pen and pad though not a Picasso. And sized for finger touch, an improvement from vista. Who could ask for anything more?  By the way, I was rejected from art school because I could only draw landscapes and not people. I'm designing my own flag rught now, it's based on Fraenky011's swastika avitar - a real work of art. Hope you like it.

Dave
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 9:10 AM
  • Here's an Icon from the control panel worth complaining about. These two homeboys have got to go.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 9:42 AM
  • I just found a nice comparsion:
    This is the taskbar icon:

and here we see the icon used for the floating tip:

The difference is clear, the taskbar icon looks wrong :)

Windows 7 has a lot of not that great looking and outdated icons, but this is just one of them, worth complaining about :p
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Both of them look awfully similar to me, kind of like a Charlie brown comic strip where the first sketch of Charlie is a little bit different then the seconed sketch. No two Charlies are exactly the same. What looks a bit off is the grey taskbar color, but you have no problem with the homeboys I posted two above this do you homeboy?

If you really hate this tablet icon you can change it with a file resource editor.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:16 PM
  • wow, with those comparison shots I thought the difference in quality is obvious.
    Doesn't the pen and ink look much sharper and smoother on the floating tip icon?
    Just compare the black border around the yellow writing area. In the floating icon the border is constant 1 pixels width wth a uniform color. In the taskbar icon the border is only available on the bottom and left side, and the color isn't the same, that's a clear sign that this icon was poorly resized.

To be honest, I don't see this icon at all, because I always use the floating tip, no need for the task bar icon, but I want support the thread starter, because the taskbar icon looks worse.

The two homeboys?
    Well, they look ok. I don't know why you don't like them, but I think they are ok, the color is uniform, the edges clear, sharp and smooth, just ok.
    Still, the style is a bit old, the colors washed out, they have tiny graphic failures, but else, they look fine.

The TIP icon however looks distorted.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:33 PM
  • "constant 1 pixels" 

What people fuss over never ceases to amaze me but still they have every right.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:20 AM
  • I'm going to take that reply as even if you change the resource with a resource hacker - it'll still be distorted?

Also I'm a self-proclaimed designer. Inconsistencies annoy me. :V And I know that annoyance annoys other people.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:00 AM
  • I guess I just don't see it the way other users do. Is it the quality of the icon or the artistic value that we are focusing on here?

Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:07 AM
  • It's the quality and not the artistic value.
    The quality of the taskbar icon is poor. Just look at the pen and compare the pen with the pen on the floating TIP icon I posted.
    On the floating TIP icon is the pen smooth and sharp, on the taskbar icon the pen looks distored.

It looks as if they've taken the floating tip icon and resized the TIP background and rotated the pen with a image editor, which results in such a distorted image.

The solution with the ressource hacker is nice and good, still, other users can't do this, e.g. I don't know in which .dll or .exe this icon is stored.
    • Edited by Fraenky001 Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:50 AM spelling
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:48 AM
  • The Rover icon was not intended to be interpretted as a viable solution, of course if anyone knew how to change it who would know or have the time to find out where the image is hidden, so this was not presented as a solution but merely to demonstrate that Rover can do the job. Now that we have clarified this can we substitute the taskbar icon with the floating icon? Rover says we can. But we don't want to do this ourselves, we want it done for us, so for everyone here that feels this issue should be taken seriously please find every means to submit and publish your findings wherever you see fit, and if anyone can  suggest other places to bring this issue to light, please post it here.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:07 AM