none
DPM 2012 - short term recovery point max RRS feed

• Question

• I've read and re-read the following statement and could use some help translating:

"For file members in a protection group, DPM can store a maximum of 64 recovery points (this is a VSS limit for client accessible shadow copies). If you schedule one recovery point per day (7 per week), you can retain 64 recovery points for a maximum of 448 days (7 * 64 = 448 days)."

By my interpretation, DPM can store a MAX of 64 recovery points. If I'm scheduling 1 recovery point per day...that means 64 days????

I am hoping that something has been left out of the description. 

Thanks for any clarity.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Your understanding is good.

For file members DPM can store a maximum of 64 RP. (This is by design / Hardcoded into VSS framework). Scheduling 1 recovery point per day means Max retention of 64 days.

For applications , there is a maximum of 512 available recovery points. However, DPM reserves 64 recovery points, so you can only select up to 448 recovery points for applications.

For long term protection for File server, Backup to Tape media can be an option.

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:33 PM