none
DPM 2012 Tape Co-location Options (Media Pools) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello;

i am new to this product & started working from DPM 2012 version. i need your comments, ideas for below mentioned Scenario.

Product version: DPM 2012 with windows 2008 R2 OS.

Backup Method: Disk to Disk daily & weekly Duplicate on Tape.

i know Symantec backup exec product with feature set Media Pools, but in DPM 2012 i am stuck with Media Pools (Advanced Tape-Colocation option). i want weekly data to backup on tape till the tape gets full & it should protect till 2 months (appendable). Secondly i have around 6 Protection group with different protection level on disk, also i want that all protection group should go in one tape when weekly backup starts to get the full capacity of tape space & avoid consuming more tapes.

Thanks & Best Regards;

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Parkaj,

DPM as a product is quiet flexible when it comes to backing up data to tapes. So let's take this step by step :

1) While setting up the Protection Groups in DPM, the long term protection (to Tape) needs to be specified as 2 months (8 Weeks).

2) Once the protection groups have been setup and tape co-location has been enabled, we will have to specify the following settings :

a) On the console - Choose the option of Tape Optimization.

b) We will need to create a group here and choose the Protection Groups which we need to co-locate.

c) Once done, uncheck the box which reads - Don't allow backups of different retention periods to co-locate on the same tape (IF THE PROTECTION GROUPS HAVE DIFFERENT LONG TERM RETENTION PERIOD).

d) To be able to write more on a single tape, we will have to edit the Write Period and Expirey Tolerance parameters. To be able to do so, click on the Advanced button under the Check box mentioned above.

e) These parameters have an explanation mentioned on the same screen. Please read through them and set the limit accordingly. To be able to use any tape with left space, we will have to increase both of these parameters. The default value is 7 days for both. You can try and increase to 14 days each. But then again it will depend entirely upto how you want to set it up.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All. Regards, AJ (MSFT)

• Proposed as answer by ANUJ_MSFT Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Parkarj Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:29 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Parkaj,

DPM as a product is quiet flexible when it comes to backing up data to tapes. So let's take this step by step :

1) While setting up the Protection Groups in DPM, the long term protection (to Tape) needs to be specified as 2 months (8 Weeks).

2) Once the protection groups have been setup and tape co-location has been enabled, we will have to specify the following settings :

a) On the console - Choose the option of Tape Optimization.

b) We will need to create a group here and choose the Protection Groups which we need to co-locate.

c) Once done, uncheck the box which reads - Don't allow backups of different retention periods to co-locate on the same tape (IF THE PROTECTION GROUPS HAVE DIFFERENT LONG TERM RETENTION PERIOD).

d) To be able to write more on a single tape, we will have to edit the Write Period and Expirey Tolerance parameters. To be able to do so, click on the Advanced button under the Check box mentioned above.

e) These parameters have an explanation mentioned on the same screen. Please read through them and set the limit accordingly. To be able to use any tape with left space, we will have to increase both of these parameters. The default value is 7 days for both. You can try and increase to 14 days each. But then again it will depend entirely upto how you want to set it up.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All. Regards, AJ (MSFT)

• Proposed as answer by ANUJ_MSFT Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Parkarj Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:29 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Thank You Anuj for explanation & usefull information.i will let you know after the completion of tape backup.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Hi Parkarj,

Keep me informed if you need any further help with tape related queries. I hope the post was answered.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Hi;

All disk backup is going to one tape.Please post links or your comments if you have any details regarding Tape Usage. i want to know how much size of tape & the total size of data in the tape.

Thank you

Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Hi ANUJ,

I am using DPM2012, i.e.daily exchange_2010 backup to disk and every Saturday to Tapes. One requirement has come now, i need to had over 1 weeks tape backup dat to our Audit team.

Please can you guide what all steps i need to follow up as in old Backup/Veitas, we need to take Catalouge backup.

One week backup tapes are ready with me, what all information i wanto share to my Audit team for 100%restore the data which may be later.

Thanks,

Saragunan

• Edited by Saragunan Monday, December 3, 2012 2:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Saragunan Monday, December 3, 2012 2:45 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi Parkarj,

You can see the tape data, click on Management Tab, go to Tape Library- Slots, click on the Tape which you want to see the data size, right click, go to View Tape contents, you will see the data contents.

Thanks,

Saragunan

Monday, December 3, 2012 2:50 PM