none
DPM Shell Syntax question for Start-CreateCatalog RRS feed

• Question

• All

I'm trying to run the following commands so that I can see granular options to restore SharePoint and evidently I'm syntactically challenged. I'm getting hung up with the index. What should I enter for index1 and index2?

$pg = Get-ProtectionGroup dpmservername
    $ds = Get-Datasource $pg[index1] (index1 points to the protection where
    SharePoint is protected, to see all protection groups try $pg) I HAVE ABOUT 40 LINES IN MY DATASOURCE, NONE OF WHICH ARE IDENTIFIED AS "INDEX" OR HAVE A LINE # TO REFER TO AND WHEN I USED THE DATASOURCE NAME THAT ERRORED OUT TOO. $PG IS COMING FROM LINE 1, WHAT SHOULD THE INDEX VALUE BE?
    Start-CreateCatalog $ds[index2] (index2 points to the SharePoint datasource,
    to see all datasources try $ds)

All thoughts welcome

Many Thanks!

Pete

Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:44 PM

Answers

• Figured it out

Get datasource returns 44 results and the one I wanted (SharePoint Farm) was ,starting at 0, number 14 in the list hence the index is 14.

Datasource results line 1 is index 0

line 2 is index 1

line 3 is index 2 and so on.

I only had one protection group so I only had one result for $pg = Get-ProtectionGroup dpmservername

When there is only one result DO NOT refer to index 0, it will error out; Don't reference an index at all.

This was the syntax that worked for me.

$pg = Get-ProtectionGroup <dpmservername>
    $ds = Get-Datasource $pg   DID NOT USE THIS, $ds = Get-Datasource $pg[<index number>], because $pg only has one result

Start-CreateCatalog $ds[14]

Cheers

Pete

• Marked as answer by wbbdev Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:04 PM
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:04 PM

All replies

• Figured it out

Get datasource returns 44 results and the one I wanted (SharePoint Farm) was ,starting at 0, number 14 in the list hence the index is 14.

Datasource results line 1 is index 0

line 2 is index 1

line 3 is index 2 and so on.

I only had one protection group so I only had one result for $pg = Get-ProtectionGroup dpmservername

When there is only one result DO NOT refer to index 0, it will error out; Don't reference an index at all.

This was the syntax that worked for me.

$pg = Get-ProtectionGroup <dpmservername>
    $ds = Get-Datasource $pg   DID NOT USE THIS, $ds = Get-Datasource $pg[<index number>], because $pg only has one result

Start-CreateCatalog $ds[14]

Cheers

Pete

• Marked as answer by wbbdev Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:04 PM
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:04 PM
  • wbbdev, man thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been trying input after input and then when I just type

> Start-CreateCatalog $ds

IT WORKEDNow I can possibly see other Sites.

Moojjoo MCP, MCTS
    MCP Virtual Business Card
    http://www.mmebs.com

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Now here is a question to whoever reads this...........

I was hired as a SharePoint ADMIN thus far now I am admining.........   Windows Server 2008, Active Directory Domain Services, Domain Name Services, SQL Server 2008, SharePoint 2010 and now DPM.

Do need to go ask for my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  from my contract house?   LOL.......   Trying to see what others think.........

This is not really the appropriate place to ask this...
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Thanks for your solution.  Does anyone know a command to know when the indexing finshes?  When you run this it says "In Progress".  I would assume re-running this command would just cause it to start again if it finishes.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 3:51 PM