Filters - Analytic Charts vs. SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to PPS and I'm attempting to combine Analytic Chart and SSRS reports on a single dashboard with common filters. The dashboard is being deployed to a SharePoint site.

I'm using SSRS for the Dundas Gauges included in SSRS 2008 and Analytic Charts for the easy chart creation and many runtime functions (drill-down, change report type, ...).

Here's my problem:

I create an Analytic Chart with background dimensions that I would like to filter on. One of these is 'Country'. I then create a 'Country' filter on the dashboard using the same dimension and select 'All' as the default value (no filtering by country). This works very well and the filter displays 'All' when I'm not filtering (that's easy for the end-user to understand).

Now I create a SSRS report and would like to use the same dashboard filter. I add a Country paramenter to my report and give it the following settings (allow blank values, allow multiple values).
    In the dataset associated with the gauge control, I add the 'Country' dimension to the dataset and I add a filter on the last tab ( 'Filters') of the dataset properties. The filter has the following values:
        Expression: [COUNTRY]
        Operator: In
        Value: [@Country]

When I execute the SSRS report from SharePoint (I have the show parameters option selected), there is no value in the 'Country' parameter and the report doesn't execute. The Country filter is showing 'All'.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Dan

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:58 PM

Answers

•   It sounds like the SSRS report you created is using Analysis Services as the data source, but just wanted to confirm this.  If you are and you setup the Country as a filter in the Query Designer there is the option to setup that filter as a Parameter (sometimes have to scroll to the right to see the checkbox).  When you do that it will automatically create a hidden dataset to create the source for this parameter in your report.  This will then be tied into your original dataset and you do not need to setup the Filter section as you have stated.

Once you have deployed that and have this available you can then create the link from the Country filter on the dashboard to the SSRS report and associate this to the Country parameter on the report and use the Member UniqueName for the value.

Here is a screenshot of the 'Parameters' checkbox in the SSAS Query Designer in SSRS - screenshot link.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    • Marked as answer by dwing2 Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:33 PM
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 11:32 AM

All replies

•   It sounds like the SSRS report you created is using Analysis Services as the data source, but just wanted to confirm this.  If you are and you setup the Country as a filter in the Query Designer there is the option to setup that filter as a Parameter (sometimes have to scroll to the right to see the checkbox).  When you do that it will automatically create a hidden dataset to create the source for this parameter in your report.  This will then be tied into your original dataset and you do not need to setup the Filter section as you have stated.

Once you have deployed that and have this available you can then create the link from the Country filter on the dashboard to the SSRS report and associate this to the Country parameter on the report and use the Member UniqueName for the value.

Here is a screenshot of the 'Parameters' checkbox in the SSAS Query Designer in SSRS - screenshot link.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    • Marked as answer by dwing2 Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:33 PM
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 11:32 AM
  •   Dan,

Thank you very much. That seems to work!!!

Dan
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:33 PM