How can I exclude D: from image backup? RRS feed

• Question

• I was recently trying to do a Windows Backup but it failed with

Volumes larger than 2088958 megabytes cannot be protected.

The problem turns out my D: is larger than that. However, when you try to configure Windows Backup to do an image backup, it automatically includes D: whether you want it to or not, and there is no option in the UI to exclude D: I cannot state strongly enough how serious a UI design and/or implementation bug this is. Where is the best place to report this bug?

Now if I change the letter from D: to Z:, there is no problem, the UI now gives me the choices of whether to include Z: or not. The problem is in order to do my software testing I need to use D: but I do not want it included in the backup. Is there some other way than the GUI to configure Windows Backup properly? Why is D: so special anyway?

Sunday, October 9, 2011 2:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Eric

It’s probably a long shot, but does the BIOS boot sequence point to a secondary drive as the first boot device, rather than your Windows drive?

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I would contact your internal system administrator or licensing contact. You may get covered support incidents with Microsoft.

Would you provide some more information about the system?

Is a UEFI BIOS (firmware) based system?

Are both drives dynamic?

What is the configuration?

EFI\UEFI backups and restores are not as simple as working with basic disks. Same for the dynamic disk in a non-UEFI system.

Monday, October 10, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Here is a link as an example-Software Assurance program 24x7 support- http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/default.aspx

Monday, October 10, 2011 11:22 AM
  • The system is a Dell 3500 workstation which boots from a RAID 0 Array using a Dell Factory Image.

Currently the active partition is the Recovery partition, which presumably runs the O/S from the C: partition.

The BIOS boot sequence boots from the RAID 0.

Cheers, Eric

Monday, October 10, 2011 5:16 PM
  • I am using Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64

No, the system is not UEFI - it is a Dell Precision 3500 workstation, and Dell only uses UEFI on their server products.

I did not think there were any dynamic drives because I thought you could only convert drives to dynamic with the server version of Windows. Is diskpart telling me they are dynamic, or does the Dyn column mean something different.

I know that disks 1 through 8 are all GPT because I initialized them that way.

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600
    Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer: EKOLOTYLUK-3500

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online         1117 GB      0 B
      Disk 1    Online         2794 GB      0 B        *
      Disk 2    Online         2794 GB      0 B        *
      Disk 3    Online         2794 GB  2794 GB        *
      Disk 4    Online         2794 GB  2794 GB        *
      Disk 5    Online         2794 GB  2794 GB        *
      Disk 6    Online         2794 GB  2794 GB        *
      Disk 7    Online         2794 GB  2794 GB        *
      Disk 8    Online         2794 GB  2794 GB        *

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
      -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
      Partition 1    OEM                 39 MB    31 KB
      Partition 2    Primary            750 MB    40 MB
      Partition 3    Primary           1117 GB   790 MB

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
      ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
      Volume 0     G                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media
      Volume 1         RECOVERY     NTFS   Partition    750 MB  Healthy    System
      Volume 2     C   OS           NTFS   Partition   1117 GB  Healthy    Boot
      Volume 3     B   Backup       NTFS   Partition   2794 GB  Healthy
      Volume 4     Z   Spare        NTFS   Partition   2794 GB  Healthy

DISKPART>

Is there any other configuration information you need?

Cheers, Eric

Monday, October 10, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Well, that's an interesting way to do things.

Disk 0, 1 & 2 may appear as dynamic if they are part of the RAID.

Microsoft Connect is one location to send feedback. You can access it with your Windows Live sign-in you created for this forum.

http://connect.microsoft.com/, although it doesn't appear that Windows 7 is open at this time.

I cannot tell you why the backup utility wants D:\ to be another drive. After A< B< C there really is no convention that I could find for drive lettering.

D should not be special.

I still believe that you should initiate a Microsoft support incident for the backup. That would enable the support person to involve the appropriate resources to answer your question. 

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Actually there are no dynamic disks - the output from 'list disk' is terrible - the first three lines are skewed.

It is impossible to create dynamic disks in Windows 7 - only the server versions of Windows support dynamic disks. The Disk Manager UI is very misleading and will walk you through creating an array, until the end when it errors out because you cannot create a dynamic disk. If you run diskpart from the command line and try to convert a disk to dynamic you get an error saying the O/S does not support it.

Off hand I would say this looks like a defect in Windows backup. I was hoping someone would have a workaround for me - such as - is there some secret configuration file for Windows Backup somewhere?

Cheers, Eric

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

You may try to use wbadmin to backup the system and exclude partition D..

http://technet.microsoft.com/zh-cn/library/cc742083(WS.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.09.backup.aspx 

Also, can you manually create an System Image to exculde partition D?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:34 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:18 AM