File attribute default settings. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a temp directory where temp files are meant to be created and modified by macros. 

My issue is that when new temp files are created they are set to read only.

How do I ensure that new temp files are not set to read only without manually changing their attributes after they are created?

Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:53 AM

All replies

• Change the folder properties.

To view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Vista or Windows 7

1.Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER..

2. To view the syntax for the Attrib command, type attrib /? at the command prompt.

To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r +s c:\test

Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:

attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove both the Read-only and the System attributes from the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r -s c:\test

If the Run command is not listed on the Start menu, do the following:

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Run.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, April 23, 2012 2:24 AM
  • I've already tried changing the folder attibutes but the issue still persists.

Monday, April 23, 2012 12:47 PM