none
Desktop Windows manager keeps crashing RRS feed

• Question

• As many as three times a day - at no specific intervals - DWM keeps crashing.  I get notified of it's exit with a pop-up and the offer to find a solution (but it never comes up with such a soloution).  It will restart itself automatically, but sometimes my desktop icons are messed up (changed to huge icons mostly) and I have to go reset them to 'small icons'.

But, the major question is why does DWM keep crashing?

Running Vista Home Premium with all updates, etc.  Everything else runs fine except DWM.  When it crashes, it appears that a DLL is involved due to the error message in the Event Viewer.  Unfortunately, I somehow didn't save the events before clearing the last few.  When I happens again, I'll be able to give more info on which DLL it is.

Bill

Monday, September 5, 2011 11:39 PM

All replies

• Just crashed again.  Culprit was D3D9.DLL, which apparently is a component of 3D by Microsoft.  Could this be tied in to the Aero problems noted here in this forum?

Bill

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Two more crashes, same DLL.  Anyone have any ideas at all?

Bill

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:05 AM
  • Seven more crashes, same DLL.  Doesn't ANYBODY have an idea what could be causing this?  Makes no difference if I turn off Aero, same results.

Bill

Friday, September 9, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

When did this issue begin to occur?

If recently, system restore is suggested at the first place.

It is probably your display card driver is corrupted or conflict with certain software, I suggest reinstall-update the display card driver from the computer manufacture's downloading center to check the result.

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:
    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:05 AM
  • This has been going on for at least a couple of months.  recently, the amount of crashes has increased.  I have taken all the measures you outline in your post already and they have not helped.  The only thing that reduces - significantly - the crashes is to set my system to NOT run Aero.  This is how it is set now and I have not had a crash in 12 hours.  My systems stay on 24/7 so when I check in the morning, I can tell if a crash has occurred.  It appears to be some sort of conflict between DX11 and Aero.  DXDiag shows no problems and the date of my video drivers is only three months old.

Bill

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Please - please - please.  I have to have some help here!  My computer is slowly going to hell with this DWM problem.  Do I even have to USE this piece of junk?  Will turning off Aero stop the use of DWM?  Thee has to be someone out there that can help me.

Bill

Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Pardon me for saying so, but this appears to be a pretty quiet group here.  352 people (as of today) have viewed my plea for help and most of the steps outlined in the one response had no bearing on my problem - although I am grateful for the response.

My video drivers are fully up to date and all my boot-time apps and services do not conflict with each other as I have re-enabled each one in turn.

The problem stated in my first post is still present: my computer will either bluescreen with an 8E error OR it will simply stop responding with a frozen screen/mouse/keyboard.  Powering down is my only recourse in this instance.  Event viewer simply states that "Shutdown at xx:xx:xx was unexpected".  Well, no kidding!  At times, there will also be references to 'dwm.exe'.  I have since killed off Desktop Windows manager by reverting to "Windows Classic" theme and discarding all references to Vista or Aero.  This has reduced my crashes to perhaps one a day.

Hardware-wise, I have blown all dust out of the computer and PSU.  There was a modest amount, but probably not enough to seriously block airflow.  Aida64 (full version) allows me to run stress tests on my entire computer (CPU/RAM/etc) and they run quite some time with no failure.  Booting up into MEMTEST and running it overnight sees no failures either.  Aida64 voltage monitoring shows that the 3.3v rail is only at 1.74v BUT outside the freezes, no other problems have arisen.  I am told by other professionals that this line may not be reported correctly by Aida and all other rails are at or around (+/- 1.3%) their stated voltages.  Both CPU temperatures are in the 74 to 85(F) range (unless under stressing tests, at which time they rise to around 104(F).

I am at a loss here to determine why this computer simply freezes for no reason.  I also would appreciate some insight from anyone else.

Bill

Friday, September 23, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Pardon me for saying so, but this appears to be a pretty quiet group here.  352 people (as of today) have viewed my plea for help and most of the steps outlined in the one response had no bearing on my problem - although I am grateful for the response.

My video drivers are fully up to date and all my boot-time apps and services do not conflict with each other as I have re-enabled each one in turn.

The problem stated in my first post is still present: my computer will either bluescreen with an 8E error OR it will simply stop responding with a frozen screen/mouse/keyboard.  Powering down is my only recourse in this instance.  Event viewer simply states that "Shutdown at xx:xx:xx was unexpected".  Well, no kidding!  At times, there will also be references to 'dwm.exe'.  I have since killed off Desktop Windows manager by reverting to "Windows Classic" theme and discarding all references to Vista or Aero.  This has reduced my crashes to perhaps one a day.

Hardware-wise, I have blown all dust out of the computer and PSU.  There was a modest amount, but probably not enough to seriously block airflow.  Aida64 (full version) allows me to run stress tests on my entire computer (CPU/RAM/etc) and they run quite some time with no failure.  Booting up into MEMTEST and running it overnight sees no failures either.  Aida64 voltage monitoring shows that the 3.3v rail is only at 1.74v BUT outside the freezes, no other problems have arisen.  I am told by other professionals that this line may not be reported correctly by Aida and all other rails are at or around (+/- 1.3%) their stated voltages.  Both CPU temperatures are in the 74 to 85(F) range (unless under stressing tests, at which time they rise to around 104(F).

I am at a loss here to determine why this computer simply freezes for no reason.  I also would appreciate some insight from anyone else.

Bill

Friday, September 23, 2011 5:07 PM
  • I MAY be repeating the solution given to you by somebody else or you may have tried it already but have you tried to fix your 2  computer's registry? Manually? There are some videos which could help you do that on youtube. This type of thing has been happening to me as well but I am going for a new purchase. I had my computer for about 2 weeks and yesterday and today I have noticed that something is not right, as if it is running slightly slow. I too have checked for viruses and registry errors. I found over 300 registry errors but I highly doubt that they are the result of exponential variations taken place during the fortnight I have spent with this system. My computer manages to unfreeze itself but this has started to happen since the last 4 days.. I am worried that this may be because of too much video conferencing and viewing burdens on the memory. The programs which I start for e.g. google chrome, internet explorer, control panel, once used to open instantly but I am currently required to wait for some seconds. Even though, it is only "seconds" it has managed to attract my attention.

Helen

Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:38 PM
  • I have also noticed that usually now when I am using Microsoft Word Processor, and have four to five internet explorer windows on and suddenly start google chrome, windows desktop manager starts to freeze. My computer starts to go on not responding. The registry errors are errors nothing but a registry scanner would show you. Otherwise try to de fragment your discs. 

Helen1516 

Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:46 PM