Rebooting servers after Windows updates has been installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

(I hope i'm in the right forum as i would like to know if this can be done with Opalis)

2 questions

1) If possible can i use Opalis/SCOM to reboot my Windows 2003 servers after Windows Updates installations took place?

2) What setting or something on the server is there that i can monitor which indicate that a server had windows updates installed and still require a reboot - i would like to reboot such servers during a specific time frame in the week?

I would like to implement something that monitors all my servers and all those servers with the irritating pop-up saying updates has been installed and asking for a reboot - reboot them during a specific time slot

thanks in advance for the help

Monday, September 20, 2010 9:30 AM

Answers

• Yes, with Opalis you have a "Restart System" activity that can be used to reboot a system, and then you can use the "Monitor Service" activity to make sure the system comes back up.

And, using WMI, you can query the ConfigMgr database (or the client individually) to see which systems have a status of "reboot pending" and initiate the reboot.

Robert Hearn • Sr. Program Manager
    Customer & Partner Community
    System Center Cross Platform & Interop

Read the Cross Platform & Interop team blog | Become a Fan on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Read my blog

• Proposed as answer by Robert_Hearn Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robert_Hearn Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:55 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hi CraMey,

I hope my reply it's not too late for you;

I don't know the Windows Update mechanism but if the process insert an eventlog you can monitor it and trigger a reboot.

You can also query the event with Powershell the get the events (filter by date, id and keyword in the message for example).

But maybe you already find an answer ?

Regards,

Guillaume

Monday, October 4, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Yes, with Opalis you have a "Restart System" activity that can be used to reboot a system, and then you can use the "Monitor Service" activity to make sure the system comes back up.

And, using WMI, you can query the ConfigMgr database (or the client individually) to see which systems have a status of "reboot pending" and initiate the reboot.

Robert Hearn • Sr. Program Manager
    Customer & Partner Community
    System Center Cross Platform & Interop

Read the Cross Platform & Interop team blog | Become a Fan on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Read my blog

• Proposed as answer by Robert_Hearn Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robert_Hearn Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:55 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:05 PM