none
Project Pro 2010 tasks duplicating in random order RRS feed

• Question

• One our PMs was working on Project Pro 2010 tasks and noticed that there 21 tasks duplicated at the bottom of the task list in no particular order and at the end of each duplicate task there was text that was repeated within parenthesis.    The PM has been using this version for a long time now and has never had this problem before.  The project is published to the project 2010 server.  They had been working with it for weeks when one day this issue happened.     No hints in the logs.  At first we thought they might be hitting a keyboard shortcut, but the random order and the repeated text at the end of the task looks like it took some of the grouping text but the odd thing is the grouping text is from completely different tasks.  The duplicate tasks did not prevent publishing to the server and we do sync tasks to Outlook 2010, so the resources assigned also saw these tasks via Outlook.   Since we couldn't figure out what happened, we ended up deleting the duplicate tasks and republished and everything has been fine, but we wanted to know if anyone has ever seen this happen before or know what might have caused this?  

Thanks,

Kathy

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 12:38 PM

Answers

• Kathy --

Strange behavior like this is usually a sign of project corruption.  Because of the problems that the PM had with this project, I would recommend that you use a Save For Sharing operation on the project to resolve the corruption.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:40 PM

All replies

• Kathy --

Strange behavior like this is usually a sign of project corruption.  Because of the problems that the PM had with this project, I would recommend that you use a Save For Sharing operation on the project to resolve the corruption.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:40 PM
  • I was hoping to get a copy of the Project file to further analyze, but the PM has already deleted the duplicate tasks and re-published to project server and has been working fine since.   I found this article; http://pietremen.blogspot.com/2012/01/common-project-server-2010-questions.html,  which was interesting, but I guess we will have to continue monitoring and if it happens again, try grab a copy of the project file right away.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:20 PM