Limiting the bandwidth pipe for WSUS. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear community,

I have a encountered a commonly faced problem. However my requirements are different.

I need to limit my WSUS bandwidth to say, maybe 1Mbps for example.

I am aware that there is a GPO "Edit the Limit the Maximum Network Bandwidth for BITS Backround Transfers policy" to limit the BITS transfer speed. But this will still choke up my bandwidth.

Let me paint 2 scenarios to have a better understanding:

Scenario 1: 500 WSUS clients, off site WSUS

- Limit client bandwidth to 500Kbps using GPO "Edit the Limit the Maximum Network Bandwidth for BITS Backround Transfers policy"

- Assuming each user is using 500Kbps (bandwidth limited by GPO), 500 users would be using 500,000 Kbps which equates to 250Mbps.

- This will choke up all of the bandwidth available.

Scenario 2: 500 WSUS clients, off site WSUS

- On the WSUS server, limit the bandwidth pipe to a maximum of 1Mbps.

- Regardless of how many WSUS clients are connected to the WSUS, the clients are to share the maximum bandwidth.

- Eg:

1. If 1 client is connected, it will use 1Mbps
    2. If 2 clients are connected, each client will use 500Kbps
    3. If 10 clients are connected, each client will use 100Kbps
    4. So on ...

I have also tried limiting the bandwidth in IIS: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/girish/2008/02/01/limiting-network-bandwidth-available-to-a-website/

But this doesnt help at all (at least in my case of clients downloading updates from WSUS server)

I am looking for a solution for Scenario 2. Any insights would help greatly.

Thank you very much.

• Edited by Johnsyjohn Monday, July 9, 2018 7:16 AM
    Monday, July 9, 2018 7:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your information.  

You can try limiting bandwith in iis Manager:

The similar issue:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/c7ed0f3a-0620-439f-9c3e-f847df920e89/limit-nic-speed-on-wsus-server

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by Johnsyjohn Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:57 AM
    Monday, July 9, 2018 10:49 AM
  • Hi Johnson,

Thank you for the replies. I have already set the limit in IIS and it is not working.

However, this is due to my mistake in the conversion from Bytes to bits.

Test 1:

I set the limit to 50,000 Bytes thinking it as 50Kbps. The Windows 10 client NIC graph is showing approximately 400 Kbps which I think it is "not working"

50,000 Bytes = 400 Kbps, so it is about right.

Test 2:

I tested again with 5000 Bytes (40Kbps) and it is working as intended.

Thank you very much again.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:57 AM
  • While we are at this topic, I would like to check on the following please:

In IIS Limits:

1. What does the Maximum Url Segments do? Will it help on limiting the client's bandwidth? If it does, then what is the recommended value?

2. Maximum Concurrent Connections: 1 client = 1 connection?

• Edited by Johnsyjohn Tuesday, July 10, 2018 10:08 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

1.The maxUrlSegments attribute was added to specify the maximum number of segments permitted in a URL.The default value is 32. It does no affect the bandwidth.
    2.1 client = 1 connection.

The following link will be helpful:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/configuration/system.applicationhost/sites/site/limits

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:50 AM